Bermondsey Square Market - support needed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Saturday 19 January 2013 6.47am
Hi All,

We need your support to keep all the stalls coming. Support has fallen and we would love to know what we can do to increase the foot fall.

Please let us know your thoughts. We are there every Saturday 10am to 2pm.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Fabienne
Saturday 19 January 2013 11.47am
I Love this market and buy some lovely bread there, as well as eggs and meat and veggies. Just on my way there now!

It would be very sad to see it go, it's so much nicer than trudging round a supermarket!
Saturday 19 January 2013 12.09pm
We love the market and go every Saturday, buying veg, cheese, fish and sometimes bread. Is it worth considering a canvassing/poster campaign in the local area. I wonder whether some people don't know it is there or forget and could do with a prompting. How about handing out flyers at London Bridge to persuade people heading to Borough Market to also swing by. I'm sure this is something the Bermondsey St shops would also be interested in.

I'd hate to see the market go, because it is such a positive part of the local area.
Saturday 19 January 2013 12.14pm
I've suggested it before, but is there any prospect of becoming a sunday market? There's a lot of competition on Saturday mornings, and while Bermondsey Square is closer to me, it's much easier to get to Borough by Tube and Bus, and the Maltby atmosphere is more unique.

If you were open on Sunday, there's nothing to compete with. Coupled with Brunch at one of the restaurants on the square and it'd be a great trip out.
Saturday 19 January 2013 12.14pm
It's true. It could really do with some advertising. I know loads of people who live 5 mins walk away who didn't know it existed till I mentioned it.
Saturday 19 January 2013 12.41pm
Maybe a schedule of extra activities to compliment the market would help differentiate it?. For example, street theatre (Southwark Playhouse actors for example?) or possibly demonstrations of rural crafts? A visit from Surrey Docks Farm? Maybe you could introduce a seasonal theme? A "winter market" or frost fair would be obvious just now... The point being that there would always something going on at Bermondsey Square...
Saturday 19 January 2013 12.41pm
I am pretty loyal to the people i regularly buy off now in and around maltby street, now I know where and who the prices are reasonable with. I do buy from the fish man but actually bought off the stall that they have set up in spa terminus this morning. I think maltby is lacking in good meat - i would love to buy galileo if it was there (i dont like the butchers in spa terminus as when i have been one time it was off putting for reasons I dont think is fair to put on here). i would also buy the bread produce. if the market were to break up for selfish reasons i would wish to see the meats come to nearer me. It is just that bit too far when maltby is on my doorstep and when borough is there for particularly difficult to find ingredients. I am sorry to say i tend to forget bermondsey sq unless i need fish. I also think you are probably missing out on the foodie visitors to maltby street who dont know you are there. I see people wandering around with iphones looking to locate it lots of times on a saturday, there are lots of people heading here who arent local
Saturday 19 January 2013 1.49pm
I have lived in this area for 35 yrs and obviously know about antiques market on Fridays but It's news to me that there is a market on a Saturday. Too late today but I will be there next week.

Do think you need an advertising campaign since the stalls reduced in Tower Bridge Road I know lots of people who no longer shop there so maybe they would come back and boost yourselves and the surrounding businesses.

Good luck
Saturday 19 January 2013 1.52pm
Just my own feedback - one reason why I don't make it so often to this market as opposed to Maltby/Borough, despite being very local, is the 10am start. With so much to pack in on weekends I like to do my foodie shopping early (with some serious coffee in hand). The other food markets nearby are open earlier, and busy then.
Saturday 19 January 2013 6.09pm
Is part of the problem the amount of competition locally?

At that end of SE1, there's Bermondsey Square, Maltby Street and Borough Market, all on a Saturday.

nb Near Waterloo, all we've got is the occasional market behind the RFH - which you can't do your weekly shopping in. The street market that used to run from Westminster Bridge Road to Borough High Street (admittedly at the end of the 19th century), is dead on its feet, often down to one grocery stall on Lower Marsh on a Saturday. Something to think about?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: