Barclays Bikes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 23 January 2013 11.08am
Is it me or do we seem to have been saturated with Barclay Bike Stands all over the SE1 area - it seems any pavement space is now taken up with yet another bike station. They are litterally appearing on every street!
Wednesday 23 January 2013 11.49am
It's just you. What rubbish.
Wednesday 23 January 2013 11.50am
Just you. You also need to look up the dictionary definition of 'literally'.
Zoe
Wednesday 23 January 2013 1.02pm
I find there aren't enough in SE1 as compared to other areas and they don't go far enough East this side of the river.
Wednesday 23 January 2013 1.33pm
I have a choice of nearby docking stations but to get to any of them I have to walk a couple of hundred metres and cross at least one main road.

I'm not complaining, but it shows that your assertion is literally not true, Marple.
Wednesday 23 January 2013 1.53pm
I agree with Zoe in that we need more docking stations and especially towards the east.

Barclays Bikes really is the best thing that could have happened: I use them every single day. From having a monthly Travelcard for 100, I now have a pay as you go Oyster and spend less than 50 on public transportation. Not to mention the exercise....
Thursday 24 January 2013 9.53am
I don't use them as I have my own bike but I have noticed that day or night, the racks across the road from me seem to have very few bikes in them. Do they cut the no. of available bikes bike in winter to maintain them or something? I could understand it if I was right next door to a station or something but I am not. Just interested.
Thursday 24 January 2013 10.53am
I also would prefer the scheme be extended if possible. My nearest docking station is often empty when I get there. Perhaps the doubling of the cost of hire might reduce demand and leave more for me? ;)
Thursday 24 January 2013 3.01pm
The cost of hire was doubled at the start of the year, Neil.

It's now more than the cost of a single bus fare (which the current mayor has put up by 54% since he took over). If doubled again, it would start to make the congestion charge (which BTW hasn't gone up for a couple of years) look attractive (if I had a car, of course).

As a result, unless I'm fairly sure I'm going to use it at least twice, I take the bus more. I'm sure that's not what their intention was.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network