Icy Pavements - Simon Hughes comments

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 23 January 2013 11.32am
I'm glad that one of our MP's has complained to the Southwark, I tweeted Southwark over the weekend and told them that gritters had not been out, to get a reply to say they have a schedule to work through.

Related news & features

Wednesday 23 January 2013 11.53am
Yes, all very well gritting the roads (where the snow doesn't tend to settle as much anyway due to the heat generated by the steady flow of traffic), but the pavements were terrible on Sunday/Monday and more people use them than the roads!
Wednesday 23 January 2013 11.54am
I totally agree with Simon Hughes! I live behind the new Southwark offices on Tooley street and there was no sign of any activity from the council to help clear he walkways for local residents.
What shocked me he most was when I visited the local Tesco's opposite the council offices. There was no sign of ice or snow directly outside their nice new offices however the residential block (Devon mansions) next door and the streets behind were treacherous.
Talk about self serving council!
Wednesday 23 January 2013 12.14pm
John Tyson wrote:
I did ask where my council tax had been spent this year as I dont see any movement of gritters in Old Kent Road/Tower Bridge Road.
Wednesday 23 January 2013 1.47pm
Pops wrote:
John Tyson wrote:
I did ask where my council tax had been spent this year as I dont see any movement of gritters in Old Kent Road/Tower Bridge Road.

I don't know your politics Pops, but most of these sorts of complaints come from people who also complain about the level of Council Tax and applaud when it's frozen or reduced. Let Council Tax rise by the same amount as inflation each year and the councils might be able to grit our pavements immediately it snows.

May actually be a slogan there - "Frozen council tax = frozen pavements".
Wednesday 23 January 2013 2.06pm
John C wrote:
Pops wrote:
John Tyson wrote:

I don't know your politics Pops, but most of these sorts of complaints come from people who also complain about the level of Council Tax and applaud when it's frozen or reduced. Let Council Tax rise by the same amount as inflation each year and the councils might be able to grit our pavements immediately it snows.

May actually be a slogan there - "Frozen council tax = frozen pavements".

Its a shame JohnC you don't understand inflation and what it really means...there is no reason why Council Tax should rise by inflation as monitored in any given month as it is made up of a whole number of different inputs...many recently over which we have no control...and in this sense it isn't inflation at all but higher prices for imported things, mainly energy and food....which have little to do with the need to raise CT at the same level as the council is not a big purchaser of either.
Wednesday 23 January 2013 2.31pm
Having spent four of the past seven working days in Brussels, lots of snow -10C last week, maybe we should introduce their rules which are that the building owner is responsible for the pavement outside their building, if anyone is injured becuase of snow or ice the building owner is liable. Works quite well.Not sure how they deal with infirm pensioners, but I guess neighbours help.
Wednesday 23 January 2013 2.45pm
How does it work for blocks of flats....notably those where there isn't any kind of caretaker or porter?
Wednesday 23 January 2013 3.05pm
theedy wrote:
Having spent four of the past seven working days in Brussels, lots of snow -10C last week, maybe we should introduce their rules which are that the building owner is responsible for the pavement outside their building, if anyone is injured becuase of snow or ice the building owner is liable. Works quite well.Not sure how they deal with infirm pensioners, but I guess neighbours help.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I've been having that thought for the last few days.

I'm not in favour of making extra laws; I'd rather it became seen as a civic duty for those who can manage it. Like thousands of others, I paddled down BHS this week trying to stay on two feet on the ice. Almost every inch of that route is bordered by shops. Why can't we expect the shops to clear their pavements, rather than wait for the council to do it, or wait for it to melt?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 23 January 2013 3.27pm
urbanite wrote:
How does it work for blocks of flats....notably those where there isn't any kind of caretaker or porter?
And this is the kind of attitude that shows what a mean-spirited bunch we've become.

"Why should I do it? Who's going to make me? It's someone else's job."...etc

(NB - I'm not accusing you of having that attitude, urbanite. For all I know, you're just pointing out the thoughts that would occur to other people. FWIW, I think there would be plenty of people who thought like that. However, I'd like to think that a combination of peer pressure and self-interest could change attitudes over time if someone started doing it.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: