Tooley Street roadworks overrun

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
SE
Thursday 24 January 2013 12.45pm
According to the official notice on London Bridge, the roadworks that have been causing havoc in and around Tooley Street since the end of the Paralympics were meant to end on 21 December. They didn't, and we're now more than a month into the overrun. But I don't see any fuss about it. As far as I can see there has been no explanation or apology. Personally I'd quite like the RV1 bus route back. Anyone else agree?
Thursday 24 January 2013 1.02pm
Totally agree and I know some other people in the local area feel the same. These works have been causing major disruption for far too long and the lack of the RV1 is quite annoying. I appreciate they were replacing Victorian pipes or something but how it can possibly take this long to sort out a reasonably small area in central London outside a mainline railway and very busy Tube station inconveniencing thousands of people - and apparently with no explanation for the overrun - is utterly beyond me.
Thursday 24 January 2013 1.40pm
The gas works are to remain for another three months, TFL are charging Lane Rental for these works, so I doubt if the utility people are keen on the overrun either.

The hole opposite Pret, now Stainer & Weston streets have left the map, will ne completed at the end of February, that one is Thames Water constructing two manholes.

All from the mouths of Network Rail and Southwark Council on Tuesday!
Thursday 24 January 2013 2.09pm
Thanks for the info Bill. Seems like more than one problem. Whatever they are doing it's a very long time to have a busy road dug up!
SE
Thursday 24 January 2013 2.22pm
Yes thank you from me for the update too, although it's not good news and it doesn't explain why a job they said would take three months is now scheduled to take seven. And I really want to see more fuss about it. It ought to be news-worthy given that it's on Boris' doorstep.
Friday 25 January 2013 7.41am
We are relocating off Tooley Street this week but I was heartened to hear news a couple of weeks ago that once finished the road will not be dug up for 5 years.

So enjoy that roadwork free period!
Friday 25 January 2013 2.21pm
Where did you see that news?

I'd be very skeptical. TfL do have the power to refuse permits for roadworks. However their powers of total refusal are very limited in relation to unplanned (ie emergency) roadworks. Unplanned works account for 40%.
Sunday 27 January 2013 4.17pm
Truthmonkey-home wrote:
Where did you see that news?
I'd be very skeptical. TfL do have the power to refuse permits for roadworks. However their powers of total refusal are very limited in relation to unplanned (ie emergency) roadworks. Unplanned works account for 40%.

I received an e-mail telling us that. No consolation given we were moving out - will see if I can find it, once our move is complete.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: