Bricklayer's Subways=RIP

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Friday 25 January 2013 1.19am
YES! First, the subways...and, next, the flyover! This is progress!

(http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6567)

Related news & features

Friday 25 January 2013 9.38pm
Bricklayers Arms Subways Infilling

Make sure you show your support for this, using the above link.

Note that the consultation closes on: 08.02.12

Thankfully, it doesn't look like there's enough time for another deranged 'save our subways' campaign at this SE1 junction...
Friday 25 January 2013 10.42pm
Floodplain wrote:
Bricklayers Arms Subways Infilling
Make sure you show your support for this, using the above link.

Note that the consultation closes on: 08.02.12

Thankfully, it doesn't look like there's enough time for another deranged 'save our subways' campaign at this SE1 junction...

Done!
Saturday 26 January 2013 3.41pm
I sent them an email and said I was elated to see this happening, as well as, of course, submitting that the area will not ever be entirely safe/improved until the flyover is demolished.
Saturday 26 January 2013 3.51pm
Can't disagree with the subway thing,but that flyover certainly came into it's own when that water main burst in the summer,it really did.
Saturday 26 January 2013 8.45pm
Have the people who endorse the closure of the Flyover considered where all the traffic will go to? If demolition of the flyover takes place can I petition you all to ensure closure of Bartholomew street from New Kent Road end! When the flover was closed for essential maintenance the residents of our tiny street had no end of traffic speeding down as they saw the queues ahead for the traffic lights when red. Hope they dont fill in our little subway from B'tholomew street to Searles Road.
Saturday 26 January 2013 9.07pm
Transport for London are not going to close the flyover - the traffic will not be affected - it will continue to blast its way through what amounts to an urban motorway, un-hampered by tiresome irritations such as pedestrians, cyclists and buses.

TfL only want to get rid of the subways and improve the pavements, get rid of the concrete walls, plant a few trees.

I really do think that it's an initiative worth supporting; if you are able to spare a couple of minutes by following the link above.

I've seen old photos of what Bricklayers Arms was like before the area was destroyed around 1968 for this junction - it had a library, shops, pubs, streets: i.e. a proper centre. Tragic.
Saturday 26 January 2013 10.20pm
I will Floodplain, follow the link...and you have hit a nerve when you talk about the destruction of the brick. including 2 cinemas, but our library, our lovely beautiful library, would love to know where all the beautiful internal fixture and fittings went :-( probably squirrelled away and forgotten about or sold as architectural salvage years later..:-(

The Bricklayers had a buzz about it, especially Saturday nights in the fifties and sixties, girls would go to Tonys hairdressers ( next door to Joyces Pie shop!) bricklayers end of tower bridge road.. come out enveloped in hair lacquer misting all around them, beehives, eyeliner...stiff skirts with petticoats poking out just a inch..then into the Swan where you had the most fabulous singers, pianist.

The fellas always without any exception always looked smart, booted and suited...non of this going out casual lark, especially if you wanted to meet a girl!

I always said when I was young I would never go on about the 'old days' but I do, I do!
Saturday 26 January 2013 10.28pm
There was also a pub there,now what was it called again.....?
Saturday 26 January 2013 10.42pm
Bricklayers Arms!! lol
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: