Registered Gifts and Hospitalities

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 25 January 2013 7.23pm
I didn't want to change the subject on the Heygate thread, so posted this as a new subject. Someone commented on the Gifts and Hospitalities List at LBS and I didn't know such a thing existed. Is there a reason why Cllr Peter John had so many 'gifts' and most Cllrs had none? Meals out schmoozing with organisations I can understand, but theatre tickets?
Friday 25 January 2013 7.35pm
Karen I wrote:
Is there a reason why Cllr Peter John had so many 'gifts' and most Cllrs had none?
Because Southwark uses the 'strong leader' model of local government, all the executive power rests with the council leader himself (the cabinet members only have delegated authority).

For good or ill, people who want to do business in the borough understand that Cllr John controls all the levers of power, and direct their lobbying efforts accordingly.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Friday 25 January 2013 8.08pm
I am so glad that David Noakes got invited to at least one dinner and feel very bad that none of the other Cathedral councillors got anything.
Friday 25 January 2013 8.47pm
I notice from the Register that Peter John is eating in some lovely places such as Quo Vadis in Soho, The Ivy in Soho, Pont de la Tour in Tower Bridge and The George club, an exclusive private club in Mayfair.

I am hereby starting a campaign to seek that from now on Peter John's freebies will contain at least a minimum of 25% genuinely affordable meals!
Friday 25 January 2013 11.31pm
Was free meals in the Southwark Labour's manifesto?
Saturday 26 January 2013 2.41pm
Zoe wrote:
I am so glad that David Noakes got invited to at least one dinner and feel very bad that none of the other Cathedral councillors got anything.
Don't be shy Zoe, invite them out, Iím' sure they would appreciate it.
Zoe
Saturday 26 January 2013 4.13pm
I would, but they might not feel that enthusiastic about a trip to capital kebab.
Saturday 26 January 2013 9.06pm
Zoe...lol :-) you beat me to it, I was going to suggest pie and mash!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: