Affordable housing in London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 26 January 2013 12.03pm
Just read about the proposed reduction of affordable housing in Eileen House. I am so tired of hearing about the need for more affordable new build housing from politicians, when they let councils get out of making sure developers provide them.

There is definitely not a lack of building in the areas that I live and work in (Southwark) and Wembley). They can't stop building in Southwark filling every space with expensive property that most people will never be able to afford. I have just noticed another green space disappearing in Rotherhithe near to the City Farm. And don't get me started on One this and One that, millionaires towers all along the Thames, completely out of context with the historical environment.
Saturday 26 January 2013 11.19pm
one of the things money will buy is 'relationship with the sky'.
no, seriously.
('relationship with the sky' is a quote from one of the hundreds of documents submitted by lend lease as part of the outline planning application for the heygate).
Sunday 27 January 2013 5.34pm
Pros - 'relationship to the sky' - nothing surprises me anymore - meaningless drivel!
Sunday 27 January 2013 11.25pm
Ah, thanks for that.. Now it all becomes clearer for me.. I wondered why I'd seen on tv in the last week discussion of the need to demolish the old 1960s tower blocks in London. Apparently, the space on which they are built is sufficient to build lots of nice houses, ( like, I can really see that happening!)enough to accomodate all those people living in social housing tower blocks who would obviously really prefer to be on the ground. BUT
it seems there is a burgeoning of expensive high rise buildings in London. The 'relationship with the sky' is clearly the new metaphor for social aspiration. Have money, can travel up. Have even more, can travel even higher!!
( I am currently 19 floors in the sky and myself and my neighbours are greatly distinguished by our poverty and sense of humour)
Monday 28 January 2013 12.13am
What if they knock down all the council tower blocks having promised the residents a place in the new developement and then go back on their word?

Nah could never happen.
Monday 28 January 2013 12.22am
No , surely not. , I think the word that has previously been used by Southwark Council is 'decanted' to describe movement of tenants from one area to another but to me it implies someone who was creating housing policy whilst being high on alcohol.
Monday 28 January 2013 1.34pm
....wonderful quote from George Orwell's 'Politics of Language' heard on the radio this morning, which is very pertinent to sickening sales language, particularly 'relationship to the sky'

QUOTE: ...creating the impression of solidity out of pure wind'

Love it!
Monday 28 January 2013 2.33pm
Glibson wrote:
QUOTE: ...creating the impression of solidity out of pure wind'
blimey, are they all chickpea lovers?!?!?!?!?!
Monday 28 January 2013 2.42pm
Start The week's Political language[i][/i]

podcast available here

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: