Bakerloo Line Extension

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10
Saturday 26 January 2013 8.46pm
I support the idea of extending the Bakerloo Line - but Camberwell is the wrong direction.

Why do I say this? Simple - there's already a Thameslink Line heading South from Elephant to Camberwell. Far quicker / easier / cheaper to re-open Camberwell Station. Thameslink is also being upgraded.

A better option, would be to head South East to Bricklayers Arms along Old Kent Road - this could surface near Milwall's New Den and link up with the Overground at New Cross and with the DLR at Lewisham.

A line to Camberwell would be expensIve tunnel all the way.

The Bakerloo is unique - it is the only deep tube line which terminates in Zone 1with spare capacity. We know that the Bakerloo is due for an upgrade, as is Elephant & Castle Station due to be upgraded to escalators.

Camberwell is the wrong destination - Old Kent Road is ripe for development and massive improvement.
Saturday 26 January 2013 9.04pm
I am sure when I was 15 every one was moaning about the tube not going further than the elephant, well the bakerloo anyway they were always talking about it, nothing ever happened Floodplain..
Saturday 26 January 2013 9.11pm
Yes, the non Camberwell direction makes good sense.
Saturday 26 January 2013 9.26pm
Yes, if you live in Camberwell

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 27 January 2013 4.23pm
I started a petition in response to a petition that only advocates a route though Camberwell.

Bakerloo Line Extension Petition

Rather than being in competition with the 'Camberwell route' petition, this is a petition that strongly supports an extension to the Bakerloo Line but asks for a broader discussion on possible routes including Camberwell, Old Kent Road and options through Peckham - not just supporting one route exclusively. This petition is for all residents of South East London who want to see this area better serviced by the transport system.

Please sign and pass on the link:

Thursday 12 September 2013 7.48pm
News item today on thIs website regarding Boris Johnson's lacklustre and ambivalent views on the Bakerloo Line extension is disappointing, but not surprising.

South East London seems forever doomed to be the poorer cousin of the North.

The Piccadilly Line upgrade has been confirmed with new (driverless) trains on the way - but the Bakerloo trains will have to soilder on until 2030 - by this time, they will be more than sixty years old.

Get to the back of the queue behind Crossrail 2, which will serve economically deprived areas such as Chelsea and Wimbledon.
Friday 13 September 2013 11.37am
This map makes the economic and social case for pushing the Bakerloo down the OKR painfully clear:
The only significant bit of blue (going downmarket) in central London is around the OKR. Hard to see how to reverse that trend without improving the transport infrastructure. But I suppose you wouldn't give a monkey's about that if you lived in Islington...
Friday 13 September 2013 9.00pm
Yes but FP, Chelsea to Tottenham on a match day must be good news
Friday 13 September 2013 9.16pm
Yes theedy, that would be fun - only I think we both know that most Chelsea fans these days don't even live inside the M25.
Tuesday 17 September 2013 7.33pm
Hi Floodplain - have to say I don't share your despondency:

"South East London seems forever doomed to be the poorer cousin of the North."

The construction boom taking place in south east London is without precedent. No other quarter of London has witnessed anything like the investment in commerce and housing as the south east.

The shops are full, the houses are occupied the moment they become available. It is unheard of even in the depressed south east postcodes to see so many people chasing so few available resources.

Just cast your mind back to the 1970s. The parks were derelict, the town centres struggling and the streets around Lewisham were empty - due in no small part to the best efforts of the NF but also due
to an economic recession the depth and length of which was unheard of in living memory.

London's population was set at an all time low in 1978. Further back it was more of the same. Low population on account of the war and with Lewisham like so much of south east London, a bombed out shell. So it remained.

Through the 70's, the 80's, and even the 90's - until 2000 and the arrival of new transport infrastructure. Now the picture is quite different it has radically changed and now we must deal with the reality of too many people chasing far too few resources.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: