Bakerloo Line Extension

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11
Tuesday 15 December 2015 1.32pm
If you look at Public Transport Accessibility Levels you're not going to get a bigger bang for your buck, jlatty at least not in central London. You're right (unfortunately) in asking why this time should be any different as the southern extension has been considered since 1906 when the line opened...
Friday 8 January 2016 9.17pm
Excellent London Reconnections article on the Bakerloo Extension proposals here

Contains reasons why Old Kent Road was selected - pretty much as everyone on this thread had argued. Conclusion is that this project is not so much about transport as about creating attractive sites for housing developers, who'll then fund the extension.

Bricklayers Arms as a station location is ruled-out in TfL,s consultation report due to its proximity to E&C. I still think we'll see a vent / access shaft at Bricklayers: coupled with potential flyover demolition a large development site could be realised on TfL land. Watch this space.

SE1 will however get a new tube station on the Tesco site in OKR.

Article also contains info on proposals for a new surface rail station at Camberwell, obviously a consolation present for Southwark Labour.
Thursday 28 January 2016 6.54pm
It would make our life much easier. Traveling around South London is getting better and extension to tube line would be great. When we have to work in south London we always consider public transport, but to be honest very often we no option but to use the car.
Wednesday 22 June 2016 1.06pm
For those expecting a station at The Bricklayers, despite it being spitting distance from Elephant and Castle and Bermondsey Tube stations already, you are now officially wrong. The two sites identified in the master plan for the regeneration of OKR are Albany Road and Asylum Road. Basically Burgess Park/Tesco (much as I had anticipated in an earlier post) and close to Toys R Us.
Thursday 8 December 2016 2.29pm
Thursday 8 December 2016 2.31pm
boroughbloke wrote:
The two sites identified in the master plan for the regeneration of OKR are Albany Road and Asylum Road. Basically Burgess Park/Tesco (much as I had anticipated in an earlier post) and close to Toys R Us.

Those two locations are just the aggregate locations derived from the SBC public consultation meetings. It is intentions of TFL that really matter - not the public pin-sticking average.

It makes no odds to me if it is at Bricklayers or Tesco/Burgess Park, but it just makes so much more sense to build the 'North' stop at Bricklayers with the intersection of Tower Bridge Road. If you look at a map of physical tube location spreads, BLA is the correct approximate distance 15/20 min walk from Elephant and Borough.

Then a second one half way down OKR to service north Peckham, and then the next stop will be New Cross is at the other end. Bunching 2 stations within a ten minute walk in the middle of OKR really is illogical and does not really consider the existing nodes.
Thursday 8 December 2016 5.19pm
I agree with Aled. What's more, it would finally give a proper purpose to an otherwise useless and soulless Bricklayers Arms roundabout. That would revive Tower Bridge Road too, simply because the roundabout becomes a 'destination'
Saturday 10 December 2016 9.23am
Maurits,

As much as I'd love to see a station at Bricklayers Arms - I just can't see this happening having read TfL's feedback on the consultation which states that a station here would be to close to E&C.

These stations will almost certainly be cut and cover 'boxes' dug into the ground and then covered with housing, vent shafts and a bit of public realm. They will need a site space at least 150m long x 25-30m wide. Those type of sites only exist in the retail sheds along OKR. Much will be written about how these sites optimise access to public transport and development sites - which is of course completely true - but the fact is the stations are very land-hungry.

What we will almost certainly see at Bricklayers Arms is a vent shaft - strategically located midway between E&C and Tesco OKR, which will also be used as part of the construction process.

Rather than wish in vain that there was a station at Bricklayers Arms - I have now come to the view that it would be better to use the inevitable vent shaft and worksite at Bricklayers Arms as a positive opportunity to remove once and for all the flyover and the approach ramps, thereby creating a new development site for a new neighbourhood centre with shops, facilities and housing which was there before.

This would re-connect SE1 with SE17 and provide opportunities for better and more direct bus routes and bus stop locations and cycle lanes.
Thursday 15 December 2016 3.37pm
I hadn't seen that in the TFL report.

Public were asked to suggest stop locations for the extension and The reason for 'exclusion from phase 2': "Bricklayers Arms is relatively short distance from Elephant & Castle and the Old Kent Road, which have been proposed as an option in the consultation."

This is when there was still myriad directions and lengths of extension proposed. TFL's public consultation begins in January so it would be interesting to see if this is reconsidered now that OKR is all but confirmed. Tesco location would still be good, but like I mentioned before - that location would make the two OKR stops just as close as Elephant and Bricklayers which is... a bit nonsensical.
Tuesday 14 March 2017 8.30pm
Looks like there is spike in chatter about Bricklayers. Like I mentioned in my comment above - now that TFL has started their public consultation, it may be that they take a second look at their proposed locations. The two on OKR are just too close if you look at a map. With a station at one end of OKR (New Cross), it would be neat to have one in the middle and one at the other end servicing Tower Bridge Road and Bermondsey Street.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: