Bakerloo Line Extension

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Current: 11 of 11
Tuesday 14 March 2017 8.36pm
It was pointed out at the London TravelWatch meeting this morning that this TfL map gives a misleading impression as to how close E&C is to the proposed OKR1 station.

The circle for Elephant & Castle should be some distance further west, just by the boundary line with Lambeth.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 15 March 2017 7.08am
The stations, like those on the northern line extension, will, be largely paid for by the developers building all the flats in the developments that surround them. This, more than anything, is defining the locations of the stations. They are bang in the middle of the areas that will be redeveloped. So unless you want to see the entire area around The Bricklayers razed to the ground and a vast hole created for a station box on the site then give up now. This will not happen as it is not economically viable and local residents would never accept the circumstances in which I could happen.
Saturday 18 March 2017 12.01pm
Yes please. I'd love to see Bricklayers razed. Especially the flyover. It is an absolute waste of space at the moment. Plenty of room for a new station, new improvement of existing buildings and infrastructure for local residents.
Saturday 18 March 2017 12.05pm
Very sneaky. Bricklayers is the aggregate tube stop distance from E&C. If they build the first at Tesco, then it is around a 2KM walk from elephant to Tesco. That is a bus ride for commuters on New Kent Road and Bricklayers.

Then from Tesco to New Cross, it is 2.5KM, where they propose building 3 stations. This arrangement just doesn't add up.
djm
Saturday 18 March 2017 1.09pm
Sign me up for razing. The Bricklayers Flyover & roundabout is a relic of a by-gone era and has no place in a modern city, it's a complete waste of space and incredibly unfriendly for both pedestrians and cyclists. Don't even get me started on the subways, nobody uses them and their placement is moronic.

According to Wikipedia [1], the reason the roundabout is so spacious in the first place is because the area was safeguarded as a location for a station on the Bakerloo Line station.

Quote:
The rather over-generous proportions of the roundabout, which included pedestrian underpasses from the adjacent roads onto it, were a result of London Underground safeguarding a route for the possible future extension of the Bakerloo line from its terminus at Elephant & Castle tube station. This was to run along and under the main road route and thence underneath the trackways of the old main line station, to join surface services at South Bermondsey station. The roundabout would have been the site of a station, similar in layout to Old Street station. The route is still safeguarded but has no prominence in current proposals.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricklayers'_Arms#Flyover
Saturday 18 March 2017 6.17pm
djm wrote:
Sign me up for razing. The Bricklayers Flyover & roundabout is a relic of a by-gone era and has no place in a modern city, it's a complete waste of space and incredibly unfriendly for both pedestrians and cyclists. Don't even get me started on the subways, nobody uses them and their placement is moronic.
According to Wikipedia [1], the reason the roundabout is so spacious in the first place is because the area was safeguarded as a location for a station on the Bakerloo Line station.

Quote:
The rather over-generous proportions of the roundabout, which included pedestrian underpasses from the adjacent roads onto it, were a result of London Underground safeguarding a route for the possible future extension of the Bakerloo line from its terminus at Elephant & Castle tube station. This was to run along and under the main road route and thence underneath the trackways of the old main line station, to join surface services at South Bermondsey station. The roundabout would have been the site of a station, similar in layout to Old Street station. The route is still safeguarded but has no prominence in current proposals.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricklayers'_Arms#Flyover

I agree with you both: that flyover is a monstrosity and the area would be far more welcoming without it.
Sunday 19 March 2017 7.43pm
There used to be underpasses to the central roundabout, but they were filled in several years ago, leaving rectangles of grassland which can be seen today.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Current: 11 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network