Loud background noise : Around Southwark Police Station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 28 January 2013 12.34am
We've lived on the corner of Borough High St and Trinity Street for 4 years and our property backs onto the carpark of the police station.

Recently, we have noticed a loud background noise in the area, coming from somewhere near or in the Police station a noisy generator or AC unit.

We're used to hearing AC units the buildings around us all have them, but this is much louder.

A walk down Trio Place got us closer to the noise, which we can hear through double glazed windows.

Here's a map of the noisy area: http://bit.ly/X5uHR5

Really annoying, anyone any ideas? Will call the Southwark noise team if no joy.
Monday 28 January 2013 10.00am
Can you be a bit more specific and describe what it is that this noise sounds like please?
Monday 28 January 2013 10.45am
@Glodge it's a constant low-pitched, but loud hum, I'd liken the noise to an industrial pump or generator.
Monday 28 January 2013 10.54am
Could be a chiller,not the right time of year but i'm wondering if the police station might have some kind of refrigerated room for forensics or something.
Monday 28 January 2013 11.49am
I live at that end of Trinity Street, on the same side as you, but I've not noticed it at all.

Is it at specific times of the day?

If it was louder down Trio Place then I'd speculate it's almost certainly related to the police compound, the court, or the self-storage place.

Have you tried listening down the small road to the right of the police station as you face it?
Monday 28 January 2013 12.04pm
@Truthmonkey-home It's day and night, really weird, and yeah much louder down Trio Place.

Of course I can't get in to the Police Compound to work it out...

It's one of those things that, now we've heard it, can't block it out.
Monday 28 January 2013 12.55pm
Since the Southwark Noise team would want to know the property it's coming from, and the police may be able to reduce the noise (or vibration) somehow if made aware it is causing a disturbance, it may be worth calling in at the police station in the first instance or calling MPS's property services.
Sunday 3 February 2013 11.15pm
Hi- I live on trinity street too, my flat backs on to the police car park. I hear the noise all the time too, like a heavy duty generator of some sort. i walked down trio place and think the noise is coming from the building opposite the car park. I'm going to give southwark council noise line a call, but will also try asking at the police station. It's not too bad with all the windows closed but come summer it will be such a pain!!
Sunday 3 March 2013 5.50am
Is it a humming noise you hear? I live in Bath Terrace and recently at night I can hear a humming noise and its really annoying.

I've woken up @ 5.30am and found it difficult to get back to sleep due to this sudden outburst of machinary humming sound, usually last between 10-60 seconds and then goes quiet for about a minute or 2 and comes back again.

Its fine today as a Sunday, would make me a very unsocialable person if it was a Monday morning, I've got some earplugs somewhere!

However it doesn't really be happening.
Sunday 3 March 2013 11.58am
I am in bartholomew street and the low background hum has seemed to me starting since the school had its new wing built, I notice it from 2am when traffic gets quiter very irritating, If I feel well enough I am going to get up and wander down to the new school bit and see if I can pinpoint it from there.

Its like one of the refridgerating vans that have a generator to keep food cold..
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: