Bells of SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 30 January 2013 4.24pm
Bit of a random question, but I live on Union Street, and we were wondering which bells we can hear ringing on the hour. Would Big Ben or St Paul's reach that far, or is there something nearer we can hear? Pretty sure that it sounds like Big Ben.
Wednesday 30 January 2013 4.31pm
It would be Big Ben, I would think, particularly if you're at the Waterloo end of Union St rather than the Borough end. I live at the bottom end of Blackfriars Road and can hear it clearly.

The best way to make sure is listen at midnight - because there is less ambient noise then, the bongs are unmistakeable.
Wednesday 30 January 2013 4.37pm
I live near the flyover new kent road, can hear it at week-ends and 3am onwards till the traffic starts flowing.. Makes me very happy the Old Ben..reminds me why I love London..
Wednesday 30 January 2013 6.36pm
I live off The Cut and can hear, quite clearly, the chimes of Big Ben, especially when there is a westerly wind. The sound is at its loudest and clearest at weekends when the ambient noise is at its lowest and with a following west wind.
Enjoy.
Wednesday 30 January 2013 8.09pm
and we can hear it all the way down in Longley street on the wild eastern border with the badlands
Thursday 31 January 2013 8.41am
Aren't there any churches with bells which are nearer?

(We hear bells at the quiter times of day, near The Roebuck on Gt Dover St, but I always assumed it was somewhere more local. The idea that it might be Big Ben is lovely.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 31 January 2013 9.10am
Big Ben usually audible from Long Lane at midnight, that is if the C10 doesn't thunder past at same moment..
Thursday 31 January 2013 9.10am
Ivanhoe, i think those would be the bells of St George the Martyr you hear on GDS.
Thursday 31 January 2013 9.51am
Yes, I'd have thought so, Gavin.

Which possibly means that Jan and Lonlaner are hearing the St George bells as well, doesn't it? (Sorry if I'm throwing cold water on the romantic idea of it being BB)

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 31 January 2013 10.00am
Does Southwark Cathedral have bells? I am surprised nobody mentions that. Although hearing Big Ben is lovely, I think i'd prefer to hear the bells of 'our own cathedral'.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: