Help Someone New To The Area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 3 February 2013 10.41am
Hello all.

First post here and looking for some help from the locals.

I (hope) to start a new job shortly, just off the Old Kent Road, near Bricklayers Arms bus stop. As someone from the North East of England, I don't know the area at all. I am hoping to live within walking distance to work.

Which are some of the better areas to live around there and where should I avoid?

I am also considering the possibility of moving further out, somewhere like Deptford, Lewisham, Catford and travelling in to work. I hope to spend no more than 20 minutes travelling by bus each way (If possible). Is that a realistic travel time from those places?

Also, if anyone can recommend some places nearby with a quick and easy bus journey I would be grateful.

I am hoping to pay 650 PCM inc bills if I live within walking distance, but if I have to travel, my budget would be reduced to 550.

MY main requirement, is I hope to live somewhere with a gym close by, which opens around 6 or 7am as I like a workout before work. I basically do weights only, so don't need pools, saunas etc. I know of Soho gyms and Skyline in Catford. If anyone knows of any other suitable gyms, I am happy to hear about them.

Sorry for the long winded post. I look forward to any help.
Sunday 3 February 2013 2.24pm
Hi, I have sent you a private message.
Martin
Sunday 3 February 2013 9.34pm
Hi

Check this link out http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^85388&minPrice=300&maxPrice=700&minBedrooms=0&maxBedrooms=2&displayPropertyType=flats

I don't think you'll find anything in central London, but it's not far to commute on tube / train / bike / ec. Also, remember, the further out you go, the cheaper, and transport links are generally v good.
Wednesday 6 February 2013 6.00pm
Thanks for the reply .

I forgot to mention that I am after a houseshare , rather than my own place .

I am still on the lookout , just waiting to get the start date for my job .
Wednesday 6 February 2013 6.49pm
Have a look on spareroom.co.uk and the other flatshare websites - I think you'd be able to find something fairly decent for 600+bills (maybe a bit above your budget) within a 15 mins walk to the Bricklayers Arms. Generalising, north and west of the Bricklayers arms is more expensive (closer to tube, typically seen by most as more attractive). If it was me and looking in that budget I'd try and find somewhere near great dover street or tower bridge road.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: