Old London Road photos

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 3 February 2013 9.22pm
I have not been in the chippie in London Road since they had their makeover but while waiting for my order tonight I was delighted to see the walls are now lined with photos of London Road when it had lots of shops and businesses. Among others there were pics of an ironmongers, Boots the Chemist, a bank in a beautiful building that I am guessing was somewhere on Southbank Uni's stretch, a grocery shop, a book shop etc. There was also an unidentified view into a lovely courtyard. I am not sure if the last was London Road or not. I got chatting about them to an old guy. He was telling me all about the street market that used to be there and the air-raid bunkers that were found when Peabody Buildings in Blackfriars Road were modernised. A fascinating diversion while my fish cooked. I am sure that people like Jan would be really interested to see them.
Sunday 3 February 2013 9.46pm
You read me well Beverly! As I was reading your post I thought this sounds smashing ( as well as tasty!) I will go and see it as soon as possible...thank you Beverly..:-)
Monday 4 February 2013 1.11pm
Thought it'd be up your street Jan. The guy in the shop told me the photos came from a museum. I'm presuming that Borough library did some reprints but he did not know. I love stuff like that. They are cracking and so was the haddock and chips!

Wish London Road had 'real' shops like that now. Though it does seems to be getting better with more students and hotel customers in the area. 12 yrs ago it was desolate apart from Waterstone's and the second hand office furniture place.
Tuesday 5 February 2013 10.00pm
beverly wrote:
Thought it'd be up your street Jan. The guy in the shop told me the photos came from a museum. I'm presuming that Borough library did some reprints but he did not know. I love stuff like that. They are cracking and so was the haddock and chips!
Wish London Road had 'real' shops like that now. Though it does seems to be getting better with more students and hotel customers in the area. 12 yrs ago it was desolate apart from Waterstone's and the second hand office furniture place.

Had a great beer shop some years ago. Beers from all over the world!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network