Who ARE all those guys who hang out in B&Q car park?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Sunday 3 February 2013 10.31pm
Who ARE all those guys who hang out in B&Q car park?
Every day, even the weekends.
Sunday 3 February 2013 10.40pm
Great query.. I visit that car park regularly and have wondered the same. Notice that they often approach customers exiting B&Q.

Maybe a question that should be asked by the UK Border Agency!
Sunday 3 February 2013 11.48pm
Agree with LondonStan- these men are pretty scary, they always look threatening and are always there! Maybe they gather there for casual building jobs? Like the dockers used to do last century. Only scarier.
Monday 4 February 2013 12.02am
They are looking for work.
Monday 4 February 2013 7.56am
I feel really sorry for them. They get picked up by builders for casual labouring/ decorating work. I don't think they are scary, they just look like henchmen from central casting, but I think that's just because they probably have had hard lives and have weathered faces. I can't imagine that they get much work. I think they are probably from the Balkans or from Romania/ Bulgaria area.
Zoe
Monday 4 February 2013 8.04am
I have found them to be quite nice and they have helped me carry heavy items back to my car. They are looking for casual work. Have to agree though, they do look a bit like henchmen from central casting, but they all seem very pleasant.
Monday 4 February 2013 9.10am
Very good value if you need some labour - wallpaper stripping etc. I'd hide valuables/remove them, not because I know they're thieves, but equally I don't know that they're not.
Monday 4 February 2013 5.28pm
Two trips this morning..

One to the roof top cafe/restaurant at The Exchange at London Bridge for a nice strong flat white. Met the chef, Angus who a very nice chap. They will soon be opening an open-air, roof top seating area, right in the shadow of The Shard.
On my way back passed the Immigration Office in St Thomas Street and noticed the long queues of young foreign men outside, which made me think of the all those men in the B&Q car park at OKR.

Second trip of the day was to B&Q, where I counted around 25 in the car park. A sure sign of the lack of work available. I find it difficult to feel sorry for them, when I am aware that many legitimate painters and decorators are finding it very hard to get work.

Those who have flocked to London must be realising the streets are not paved with gold....

But still they keep coming
Monday 4 February 2013 6.09pm
I feel sorry for anyone looking for work in order to eat, live and survive.
Their immigration status is irrelevant to what I feel for them.

Your story about enjoying a rooftop restaurant and then seeing a queue for a UKBA office describes the harsh reality in which we live: a growing disparity of wealth.
Monday 4 February 2013 6.33pm
so a cup of coffee at small independent restaurant/cafe is now deemed to show the divide between the rich and the poor..get real!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: