Why do so many SE1 cats leave home?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 6 February 2013 10.26pm
Just wondering if SE1 cats are more adventurous than those from other boroughs based on the number of 'lost cats' threads over the past months. Are they actually lost or just taking a break from the monotony of their diet?

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/helpandadvice/straycats
Quote:
We receive many calls from people who, instead of making enquiries in their neighbourhood, are quick to assume a cat is stray. In the past we have been criticised for removing a 'stray' cat that is later found to have been owned and just roaming.
Thursday 7 February 2013 9.47am
Many years ago when our street had a butchers,bakers,greengrocers I happened to mention over in green walk we were trying to tempt a small cat into Mums house that looked bedraggled and was very timid, the butcher then said that someone had lost a kitten several weeks ago, cutting it all short after laying on the floor of the car spaces in green walk and tossing bits of chicken under the car, managed to grab the kitten, thrust it in a box and return it to the owner, and thank heavens we did as it had been given a collar suitable for a kitten and was digging into his neck! So if anyone has a new cat that is likely to stray please just have it chipped rather than place a collar on it, because that poor cat could have died.and the collar was elastic!
Thursday 7 February 2013 10.20am
I never see any cats roaming as was once common. A fond memory I have is of a tabby, bulky and well muscled with one and a half ears which used to strut his stuff in the neighbourhood, he was obviously King Cat, now long gone.
What I do now see are foxes, often a group of three which wake me at night with their ear peircing screaming, because it happens in the middle of the night I never have my camera handy to prove such a rare sighting.
I wonder if there is a connection between more foxes, no cats.
Friday 8 February 2013 12.56pm
Not sure about the feline vs fox territorials... our kits chase the foxes (twice their size) out of our little garden. Maybe it's all about who gets there first?
Friday 8 February 2013 1.04pm
Not sure foxes are such a rare sighting either. Often see a very healthy looking fox, nonchantly strolling down Long Lane in broad daylight.
Sunday 10 February 2013 12.03pm
RooRee,
That's the point I was making that foxes are a common sight now, I often see one on its own during the day and a very healthy specimen it is but groups of three foxes which I see at least once a week must be rare. I always thought foxes were solitary creatures and only got together during the mating season. I wonder if it is a mother with two full grown cubs because I have only seen them in the last six months or so.
I realise that I am turning this into a fox thread when my main point was intended to be the loss of cats, not ever seeing cats now roaming the streets and the rapid increase of foxes. Are foxes cat killers?
Sunday 10 February 2013 12.06pm
I have been told that foxes are very wary of cats, bundles of spitting, clawing fur that they are, but a sick or injured cat is seen as fair game.
Saturday 16 February 2013 7.55pm
Bad food (anything tinned doesn't actually necessarily contain meat) and being stuck in/shoved out all day because their "owners" are at work. Cats move on.
Cats go for the main chance.
If you aren't it you are out.
Respect.
Thursday 13 June 2013 9.44am
If a cat is within 200metres of home, it's not lost.

Secret Life of the Cat on BBC Two on Thursday 13 June at 21:00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567526
Thursday 13 June 2013 2.55pm
After following with interest the series of missing moggy missives, I feel we need to look at the causes of feline faithlessness. As an increasing number of people claim to be able to communicate with animals, I wonder if there's an opening here - or flap - for a mediation service?

Just as human couples experiencing difficulties can turn to RELATE, so people with feline companions - and the cats of course - could have a mediation service tailor-made for such relationships. Unfortunately adapting the existing name for a new feline-human resource poses problems...

But at the end of the day (when you're standing at the door whistling in vain) what matters isn't a name, rather creating a high quality mediation service staffed by trained professionals, that can help heal rifts between members of the homo sapiens and cattus species. And the new businesses could advertise on this site, which would make James as happy as a - you know.

"First, some ground rules... No, come back, it's just a turn of phrase!"
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: