Tlusty czwartek

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 7 February 2013 11.49am
Can anybody tell me where I might get some Paczki today to celebrate Fat Thursday?
Thursday 7 February 2013 12.54pm
Mamuska, in Elephant & Castle might be worth a try?
Thursday 7 February 2013 6.16pm
Took me down Memory Lane there Dave, I lived with a Polish girl for 8 years.
It's too late now for Tlusty Czwartek, but she used to get speciality stuff from a deli in Balham.
She looked like a slim-line version of Cheryl Cole, but she was as jealous as all get-out.
I once asked her if she maybe had a blonde sister that she didn't know about, as I had picked up a ringer for her at Harrods in my taxi.
She went to the kitchen and came back with a serrated edged knife and said that she'd kill me if I so much as looked at another girl.
It did not matter that I protested "Je cie kocham," (I love you).
I knew that the writing was on the wall after that, I could hardly drive a black cab without looking at who I picked up, so I gradually wound it down and eventually reluctantly escaped.
Do Widzenia and Powodzenia Dave!
Friday 8 February 2013 12.56am
oh Tom Pepper....your cucumber was nearly in the soup
Friday 8 February 2013 1.10pm
Kory wrote:
oh Tom Pepper....your cucumber was nearly in the soup

I bet that made Tom's eyes water!
On a side note, driving a black cab for a nice looking guy, (no idea about Tom, but he sounds O.K.) must be akin to the old adage about being like a kid in a candy store!
Sunday 10 February 2013 12.03pm
Debrajoan wrote:
On a side note, driving a black cab for a nice looking guy, (no idea about Tom, but he sounds O.K.) must be akin to the old adage about being like a kid in a candy store!

True, DJ, but one has to be so very careful in today's highly charged and suspicious times, you have to think very carefully about how an innocuous remark could be construed by the passenger.
A close friend told me of the time that he picked up a 40 something woman at Chalk Farm who asked for Finchley Road.
Finchley Road is a very long road, running from St. Johns Wood to Finchley, so he said, in all innocence, "How far up would you like?"
She almost had an apoplectic fit, "What did you say?"
He skated carefully around that, but it gave him pause for thought .
On a personal note, I was once hailed by a woman outside The Lister Hospital in Chelsea Bridge Road.
There is an arch at the side of the main entrance which leads through to a loading bay for deliveries etc.
The woman said, "I have some things to pick up, I'll walk back through the hospital, but could you drive through the arch and take me from behind?"
I desperately wanted to come back with something witty, like O.K. but I'll have to leave the meter running, but discretion being the better part of valour, I just acquiesced and bit my tongue.
p.s. I wouldn't give Brad Pitt any sleepless nights but according to Mrs. Pepper I have George Clooney beat!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: