Gagarin Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Sunday 10 February 2013 12.17pm
I am a Southwark Street resident and I want to say that I've been so pleased and surprised by this project - which I wasn't aware of - and that I hope it will be approved.

Southwark Street is going the have the Shard and its satellites on one side and the emerging cluster around One Blackfriars on the other.

Unlike the area behind the Tate Modern, this stretch of Southwark Street has really been left behind in terms of renovation and I think this idea was exactly what was needed.

The building is NOT too high, it will blend in the skyline very well, providing some sort of mellow transition between the two higher clusters.

The style of the facade is not only reminiscent of the Russia/Gagarin theme, but will also merge fantastically the existing older facade styles with the idea of modernity and verticality, like the Shard already does.

Right now, anyone walking Southwark Street leaving the Shard behind experiences some sort of esthetic trauma... From a shiny futuristic building to a sudden shabby scenario with some frankly derelict corners.

This project will simply provide a badly needed HARMONY to the landscape of the street - it will harmonize the old and the new, the higher and the lower.

I know there is so much resistance to these new schemes out there, I just wanted to make clear that there are also residents who LOVE the ongoing regeneration of this street and I feel this particular project is so spot on.

It may sound crazy but yes, we want and we need a missile right in the middle of Southwark Street!!
Sunday 10 February 2013 12.22pm
Er! What is it? Never heard of it.
Sunday 10 February 2013 12.43pm
Take a look here, here, and watch this video
Sunday 10 February 2013 1.24pm
I support you in your excitement Blackfriar. Whilst something of a cynic of the whole regeneration process, I love this proposal for its exuberant good humour and style. I especially hope they can add the smoke effect flowing over the front of the street facing buildings as shown in the architects video.

Southwark St could and should be so much more than what it is now, which is little more than a commercial office wasteland. I want to see some of the life that is the Kingsland Rd pitch up here, with its rich mix of independent coffee houses, cafes, restaurants and venues like Cafe Oto. It should be here already with the cathedral to culture on its doorstep! This proposal is the first step in the right direction. It trust councillors have the vision to see it.
Sunday 10 February 2013 6.39pm
This does look very interesting and I like the idea of another theatre. Tolstoy, I full agree with your example of the Kingsland High Road. It's such an interesting road and I wish Tower Bridge Road looked like that.
Sunday 10 February 2013 7.49pm
I quite like this as well.
Monday 11 February 2013 12.09am
Who is funding this?
Monday 11 February 2013 12.49am
A "spaceship-themed bar"... Reminds me of a bar in Berlin called "Mars Bar" where the chairs were old ejector seats from Russian MIGs. There were a couple of 6 feet high tables and to get in the seat you had to climb a little ladder. All fine, until it was time to leave... We'd had quite a few and climbing down proved to be a bit of a challenge. This literally was months after the wall'd come down, and there were tons of East-German/Russian memorabilia everywhere. Hence maybe my excitement at this new project. Aren't Forster in Lambert House? Will they move?
Monday 11 February 2013 6.18am
Funded by the developer I if only someone could bring the Hop Exchange back to its former glory. Agreed Southwark Street is crying out for a makeover
Monday 11 February 2013 9.56am
brilliant video! Would be really good for the area.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: