Abbey street area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
mjfh2 Monday 11 February 2013 6.47pm
Hello everyone,

What is the area of Bermondsey around Abbey Street by the railway line like? I'm looking to move into a flat around there and have read some relatively concerning stuff on the internet, which I suspect may be exaggerated.
I guess it varies a lot even down to the street level, but is it an area where people generally would feel safe?

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

Davies Monday 11 February 2013 11.48pm
Well it's variable.
There are a lot of teenagers who hang about round Abbey St and Druid St and can turn nasty but if you keep your head down and keep on walking you are usually OK.

There's a really noisy house in the Georgian terrace by the bus stop a bit up from Sidney house so I wouldn't move into a flat there.

The area does seem to have got rougher lately I have to say. But I suppose it's better than some.
Guy's street Tuesday 12 February 2013 10.31am
We've just moved to a flat slightly south of Abbey Street (between there and Southwark Pk Rd) and so I've been walking/driving/cycling along Abbey Street an awful lot recently. Not moticed any problems at any time of day or night, it has seemed very quiet.

I think I know the flat that Davies is referring to though, on several occaisions I've seen groups of teenagers moving various serious looking amps and speakers in and out, so presume they are making some sort of music down there!

As with anywhere, keep your wits about you and I'm sure you'll have no problems. I love the area personally.
mjfh2 Tuesday 12 February 2013 12.51pm
Thanks for the replies both of you.

I'm fairly reassured by what you've said. I lived in Shepherds Bush for a while and it doesn't seem to be any rougher than it was there, but seems to have a reputation for being so.
I'll have a wander round the area sometime in the near future.
Guy's street Wednesday 13 February 2013 10.27am
Out of interest, where have you read these 'negative' comments about the area? You mentioned some relatively concerning stuff on the internet.
Julia7239 Wednesday 13 February 2013 10.45pm
I moved to near abbey street from tooley street several years ago and within a few days of being in my new flat, I saw a teenager who looked pretty relaxed chatting nonchalently with friends on abbey street, suddenly stand up with a big rock and throw it full pelt at a moving car resulting in a huge whack, the car driver looked scared, i was so shocked i stopped and stared with my mouth open and they were so shocked they thought I was going to tell them off that they ran off even though there was four of them. That's all i have seen.

Shepards Bush on the other hand i got followed by a man on a winters night when i was visiting a friend, and I had to go into a shop and tell them, the man came in and wouldnt leave so they had to call the police and my friend had to come and get me. Touch wood - not had that round here! I would also say it was a bit more of a hole compared to round here - even the rough bits of se1 and se16 there are more redeeming features in my view.
Guy's street Thursday 14 February 2013 11.47am
I think wherever you go, in a city or otherwise, you'll always find teenagers behaving antisocially. I wouldn't judge an area on a bit of mindless vandalism or aggressive language from some of the local yoof.
Davies Friday 15 February 2013 6.48pm
How about the local yoof turning round and kicking and punching a young woman when she yelled at them for targeting her with hard snowballs on her way home two days in a row on Druid St?

High spirits? Doesn't matter now the snows gone?

There's some nasty kids round here and letting it slide just encourages them to do worse.
EleanorT Friday 15 February 2013 7.15pm
I walk and cycle regularly on and around Abbey St and have never felt threatened - not yet anyway - and that in the last 4 years. It should be mentioned that there are some great new traders in and around the railway arches near Bermondsey Spa and Maltby St, best visited on a Saturday - a very pleasant addition to the area.
Davies Saturday 16 February 2013 7.21pm
Maltby St is brilliant! There are always interesting and innovative food stalls there.
It's a great local advantage it is true.

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions