Broken windows around Union Street area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Thursday 14 February 2013 12.13pm
There seems to be a few windows at ground floor level being smashed around Union Street. Is this burglary or vandalism i wonder?
Thursday 14 February 2013 12.18pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6607

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 14 February 2013 3.32pm
I spoke to my neighbour this morning who was on the street surrounded by glass having has her windows smashed. She lives alone with a small child and was extremely upset. She said that the police had said that the squatters in All Hallows Church were thought to be responsible and that 60 different properties were vandalised in this way over the last week in the area. I find this really depressing. There are three large buildings near me currently being occupied by squats and I try not to be prejudiced but am seeing some really antisocial behaviour from these people. I have twice witnessed incidents with dangerous dogs and also an altercation between people drinking in a group. I have seen these people coming and going from one property right next to me so they are connected to whatever is happening there.
Thursday 14 February 2013 4.05pm
I live a moment away from these properties and a couple of the residents told me it was a gang going round cathederals ward causing criminal damage . They did not mention the squatters and said the police did not know who it was- even though there is cctv further in the street?
Thursday 14 February 2013 4.14pm
I hope that you're right. It really wouldn't make any sense for people occupying local properties to be causing damage like this. It's a really pointless crime which makes it a bit confusing and upsetting for people having their windows put in.
Zoe
Thursday 14 February 2013 4.23pm
I've never known squatters to do stuff like that, so would be surprised. But of course it only takes one or two.

It's a stupid and nasty crime and I really can't understand why anyone would do such a thing. Strikes me as being a stupid young boy sort of activity (apologies to any stupid young boys reading the site, I'm not tying to stereotype you).
Thursday 14 February 2013 8.25pm
the houses along Copperfield street were targeted recently as were some windows on Weller and Mint Streets.. really hope the police catch whoever is responsible..
Thursday 14 February 2013 9.39pm
I don't think it is likely to be kids breaking the windows; more likely to be someone who has a health, drink or drug problem. A couple of years ago there was a man who used to walk down Hatfield and bash the heads of all the hollyhocks on a regular basis; he was a bit of a drunkard! Let's hope someone looks at CCTV to see if it is connected with any of the places that are being squatted. (Zoe, there are two types of squatters, those who find vacant property and make a home for themselves, and those who find vacant property and trash it; remember what happened to Metro House when squatters moved in?)
Thursday 14 February 2013 11.09pm
This guy had been seen apparently.. He threw a brick through my friends sons window at 2am up by the Tate . And through lots of others . I don't think it's the squatters but obviously someone who is not the full ticket .. I hope he gets caught !
Saturday 16 February 2013 7.38pm
When I was a kid in Bristol this happened.
Ground or basement windows were smashed on a whole street but nothing was taken.

They waited for the windows to be replaced and the next night went in quietly because the putty was still soft and it was easy to take the glass out without making a noise.

Please warn anyone affected to watch out for a couple of weeks after the glass is replaced.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: