Broken windows around Union Street area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Friday 22 February 2013 11.23pm
Two windows smashed on The Cut/Hatfields tonight and a report of smashed windows on Pepper Street. Fortunately sealed units so no putty required Davies.
Friday 22 February 2013 11.29pm
Slightly off subject, but has anyone else noticed all the ACAB graffiti around this area lately? I know what it used to stand for back in the seventies but I wonder if this new lot has the same meaning and whether it's connected to the window smashing? Just a thought.
Saturday 23 February 2013 1.49am
Somehow I doubt the people behind the squatting and the acab graffiti are the same as the window smashers. From a squatter's point of view it just seems a stupid/un-strategic thing to do. In my opinion it's more likely to be related to youth gang activity. My wife went for a run today and noticed 3 youths on bikes who appeared to check out her mp3 player and to shout at her (drowned out by her headphones). We've have also been woken twice in recent weeks at 4/5 in the morning by youths ringing every doorbell trying to gain access to our building. Once it was 2 very drunk female teenagers, the 2nd time 3 males, whom I politely advised to move on. There seem to be some kids around who are getting a bit cocky and this needs to be nipped in the bud. To be honest, I think the most effective way is if this comes from residents rather than relying on the police.
Saturday 23 February 2013 11.42am
There's too much speculation about who might be smashing the windows. There has been no witnesses and therefore it is unfair to suggest it is likely to be children or squatters. My neighbour was at home when the brick was thrown through the window and evidence suggests the person had walked through the communal gardens, picked up the brick, walked past some windows before throwing it at windows further round the garden. (Same brick used for two windows, which suggests a lone perpetrator.) No noise, no laughter, no scuffling, no sounds of excitement etc which also suggests a lone perpetrator. The incidents are too widely spread for neighbourhood watch, so I think the police are better able to deal with this; hopefully they will start looking at any available CCTV.
Zoe
Saturday 23 February 2013 12.29pm
Wow Karen, I think you were wasted as a teacher. Completely agree with what you are saying.
Saturday 23 February 2013 12.35pm
As an ex-squatter, I'd be rather surprised if they were doing this, the last thing you need is upset the neighbours. Sure, I know some idiots do, but it isn't the norm.
Saturday 23 February 2013 12.54pm
Karen I wrote:
There's too much speculation about who might be smashing the windows. There has been no witnesses and therefore it is unfair to suggest it is likely to be children or squatters. My neighbour was at home when the brick was thrown through the window and evidence suggests the person had walked through the communal gardens, picked up the brick, walked past some windows before throwing it at windows further round the garden. (Same brick used for two windows, which suggests a lone perpetrator.) No noise, no laughter, no scuffling, no sounds of excitement etc which also suggests a lone perpetrator. The incidents are too widely spread for neighbourhood watch, so I think the police are better able to deal with this; hopefully they will start looking at any available CCTV.
So a bit of a nutcase then maybe? That's possible as well of course.
Monday 25 February 2013 9.13am
Looks like they got the Charles Dickens pub on Union Street last night
Monday 25 February 2013 10.58am
Yes, I saw this on the other thread, and the flats next to it. There must be CCTV on this street.
Monday 25 February 2013 11.03am
Needs catching soon..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network