HORSEMEAT

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 February 2013 1.22pm
Have any charities been offered any of the recently withdrawn beef and horsemeat delicacies for the benefit of those of their clients happy to enjoy them for no charge?
If not, why not?

mickmac
Monday 18 February 2013 1.31pm
Apparently some of the horsemeat is contaminated with the painciller called Phenylbutazon, which is harmful for the human being.
Monday 18 February 2013 1.34pm
sorry, not painkiller but doping substance.
This is what I read in the newspaper, but am not a doctor.
Monday 18 February 2013 1.54pm
I wondered that Michael, I did see a food scientist on television saying you would have to eat about 1000 burgers before you could ingest even a tiny amount of 'bute' not quite sure if that is in one go mind you! or if it was an attempt at keeping the masses calm...

I would have no objection to eating horsemeat providing I was not lied to in the first place and it was humanely killed and treated whilst alive, like presumably like all other live stock intended for the table.

Princess Di ate it when she was expecting her sons as it helps build muscles in the foetus apparently.

People ate it in the war without harm, think we ate it after also, mind you there would have been no 'bute' in them I expect.
Monday 18 February 2013 1.55pm
Michael Place wrote:
Have any charities been offered any of the recently withdrawn beef and horsemeat delicacies for the benefit of those of their clients happy to enjoy them for no charge?
If not, why not?

Personally, I like horsemeat very much, but as it the case with all other meats, it has to be inspected and certified as fit for human consumption.

This did not happen in the case of the withdrawn products.
Tuesday 19 February 2013 12.49pm
Jan the old one wrote:
People ate it in the war without harm, think we ate it after also, mind you there would have been no 'bute' in them I expect.

Even if it did it wouldn't of been considered a problem. Phenylbutazone was used to treat rheumatoid arthritis in humans until 1950.

You would have to eat many thousands of contaminated burgers a day to exceed what is considered a "safe" dose of 'bute'.
Tuesday 19 February 2013 7.30pm
With all due respect but what is the SE1 relevance to this post?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: