New Tesco to open on Jamaica Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 February 2013 2.19pm
First of all I should mention that technically this is SE16 territory, although we are talking of a location 10 yards across the SE1 boundary.

I have had confirmation that a Tesco will open in the ground floor of the Parker building (part of the Bermondsey Spa regeneration masterplan) on Jamaica Road. It will be open probably before summer 2013, ie before full completion of the building. Yes I know, another Tesco, but this will be useful to anyone getting off at Bermondsey station and heading west of the station.
There will also be an Italian deli and a dry cleaners... pretty useful amenities. I thought that there would be another NHS centre but not sure about it. Anyone with more info please post.
Thursday 21 February 2013 2.47pm
This is good news - better value than many of the small shops around, competition for the Sainsbury's at Bermondsey Square, and should save some trips to the overcrowded big store at Surrey Quays.
Friday 22 February 2013 11.44am
It would be nice if this Tesco did hot chicken as well but I think it will probably be too small to offer it!
Tuesday 11 June 2013 3.57pm
http://www.se16.com/1187-tesco-metro-jamaica-road

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 14 December 2013 12.27am
OK, I was a bit optimistic at the start of the year, the new Tesco did not open in June 2013 but it will open on 9 January 2014 as announced by Tesco on Twitter.

What do you think of the building now that it is fitted with Tesco signage? I find it a bit invasive, it is almost on the four sides of the building... Anyway, it will be really nice to have a relatively large store in the area.
Saturday 14 December 2013 2.11pm
tescos is bad news, why southwark council keeps granting them permissions is definitely worth looking into.
Monday 16 December 2013 12.44pm
James B- wrote:
It would be nice if this Tesco did hot chicken as well but I think it will probably be too small to offer it!
I went past last night on a bus and glanced in and I think you are going to get hot Chicken when it opens...It's a Metro :)

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Thursday 9 January 2014 1.15pm
Now open:
http://www.se16.com/1642-tesco-metro-jamaica-road-now-open

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Thursday 9 January 2014 8.08pm
I'm glad it's finally open as the completed store with all the shelves empty was really freaking me out!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: