Local electoral consequences of govt welfare reform

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 18 February 2013 9.00pm
Having looked at the SE1 team's map of govt welfare reform and its impact on local wards, I would feel rather anxious if I was one of the three Lib Dem councillors in South Bermondsey ward ;
3 narrow majorities and 1393 households affected by council tax changes, 152 by the bedroom tax and 31 by the benefit cap.. and these numbers exclude those living in housing association/ city of london corporation properties!!!
Monday 18 February 2013 10.07pm
Thanks for your concern Londonbridge69.
There are many factors affecting voting intentions, the benefit reforms are just one factor in a complicated story.
Some of our constituents have come forward asking for help and advice already, some are pleased that they are exempt, many are supportive of the changes.
It has increased our casework load, but many residents are pleased for the reassurance.
We hold an advice surgery every Saturday 10.30 - 11.30 at The Pop in Parlour, opposite the Library in the Blue for anyone with any concerns about this, or anything else.
any problems or questions please email me:
[mailto:office@grahamneale.com] for help.
Or visit grahamneale.com for updates.
Thanks
Cllr Graham Neale - South Bermondsey Lib Dems
Monday 18 February 2013 10.51pm
Where are the statistics, please?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 18 February 2013 11.03pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Where are the statistics, please?

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6632
Wednesday 20 February 2013 12.17pm
Thankyou Councillor Neale for your interesting perspective on the current impact of the government's welfare reform.
I would suggest that there are likely to be rather more people asking for help ( advice?) than there will be supportive of the changes.
Of course, reassurance is all very .... well, reassuring, but doesn't actually pay the bills when they come rolling in...and those council tax bills will indeed come rolling in.
Perhaps you would be kind enough to illuminate the discussion by indicating whether you support the Coalition government's welfare reforms?
My earlier posting was really to express the view that large numbers of voters will be affected in the South Bermondsey ward and that that there is an arithmetical likelihood that the Lib Dem majorities will taper to nothing as the local elections get closer. Is this what is meant by 'being all in it together?'
Wednesday 20 February 2013 2.12pm
Londonbridge69, why don't you come to one of my surgeries, and we can talk this through more completely, or please email me.
I'm not shy of a fulsome debate, but I'm not sure this is the forum for my personal manifesto.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 3.33pm
What on earth is london bridge69 talking about? the benefit cap he is referring to is MORE than I earn in a full time job, this cap he refers to is 30,000 per year after tax!!!! I pay full rent and council tax. Council housing is for those that need it and therefore is subsidised. My mother gave up her 3 bedroom flat after 30 years because she understood that while she saw the property as being her family home, it is council flat and not owned by her and since she did not need the spare rooms, she rightly gave it up for a family that did. It is not a tax, the government are simply saying that if you have spare bedrooms and live in a COUNCIL property and, you don't want to move to a smaller property don't expect the state to pick up the extra cost. if the labour government did not spend spend spend for 13 years in the first place we would not be in the situation. Also, since london bridge 69 is to cowardly to even state his name, it make's me think that his mail is politicly motivated, maybe he wishes to stand against Cllr Neale. Also 69 needs to understand that the last election was on the same day as a general election, therefore a much higher than usual turnout occurred and Labour still did not win! Don't worry Cllr Neale keep working hard you have my vote in South Bermondsey!
Wednesday 20 February 2013 3.46pm
There are many people that have tried to relocate to smaller properties,usually one bedroom/bedsits,there are simply not enough of these properties to accomodate all the people with spare bedrooms,or even a quarter of them,therefore it is a tax.
And don't start me off on the subsidised thing (: !
Wednesday 20 February 2013 4.04pm
Well, Steve .. I didn't think it would be long before someone would have to resort to personal invective rather than discuss the issues.
Cllr Neale.. I wasn't particularly asking for a discussion of your personal manifesto.. only a question of whether you supported the welfare reforms. Do you support them?
Wednesday 20 February 2013 4.09pm
londonbridge69 wrote:
Well, Steve .. I didn't think it would be long before someone would have to resort to personal invective rather than discuss the issues.
Cllr Neale.. I wasn't particularly asking for a discussion of your personal manifesto.. only a question of whether you supported the welfare reforms. Do you support them?

You have to admit though,he does have a very interesting surname.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: