Stones End Day Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 February 2013 10.01pm
Does anyone know about Age UK Day centre STONES END SE1

Why is this such a secret?

My Mum nearly 91 still very active, has lived in the area in excess of 65 years, and is now at this very good age, needing extra support from social services etc and interaction with other members of the public rather than being stuck in doors alone all day

I have tried beg, stealing and borrowing help and support from social services for the last six months, and recently had to self fund ,( out of her old age pension, her only income), to have some respite after some health problems , TIA's etc.

I have just found out via a friend about this day care centre, which my mum would dearly enjoy
Never knew about it before , it costs 37.50 a day to attend !! Yes 37.50!
My mum cannot afford this out of her pension , but she has to be assessed now to see if she is eligible for a day care place, even for one or two days a week

Why has Southwark social services never told me that something like this is available, and you never see this advertised anywhere !!
Tuesday 19 February 2013 9.37am
Yes, Stones End is run by Age UK and the manager is Andrew Rogers. The phone number is 020 7358 4052. They do organise transport to & from the centre. Surprised that your mother has to pay for it, though.

Have you tried Blackfriars Settlement on Great Suffolk Street? I know some ladies that enjoy going there. Pretty sure that they don't pay, and they also organise trips out.
http://www.blackfriars-settlement.org.uk/
Tuesday 19 February 2013 11.06am
It's a wonderful secret, my Mum loved it there until she was too ill to go. Can't remember if she paid for it though. Nice to know it still maintains such high standards.
Tuesday 19 February 2013 11.45am
Thanks Jan
I am on the case

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: