Does anyone on SE1 own a boat?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 25 February 2013 10.46pm
Hi - Does anyone own a boat (a small motorboat for example) they use on the Thames?
Tuesday 26 February 2013 5.51pm
this sounds like the start of one of those implausible channel 4 dramas
Tuesday 26 February 2013 6.18pm
JimG wrote:
this sounds like the start of one of those implausible channel 4 dramas
I am just interested. I presume you can buy a boat fairly cheaply, but what about mooring, licences, using it on the Thames etc? When I was a child my family had a motorboat and I absolutely loved it, so I am trying to recapture some of that, but I wonder what the practicalities are. Sobering, probably.
Tuesday 26 February 2013 8.00pm
I have a much larger boat that I keep in the Netherlands because the Thames is so ridiculously expensive! I can't give you prices for a little boat but as an example, I pay 600 euro (approx 540)a year for 11 metre moorings including as much water and electricity as I like. When I explored keeping it on the Thames it worked out at 2800 per year PLUS water and metered electricity PLUS a Thames licence PLUS a British Boat Safety Certificate PLUS an out of water inspection!I was also told that there is a long waiting list.

Given all that, even including fares, it's much cheaper for me to keep it where it is. Not much good to you, but just an example.
Wednesday 27 February 2013 9.49am
Would one start with The Environment Agency (they regulate fishing permits and rivers in general, so maybe not such a leap of imagination to guess they might have something to do with waterways for boat users)?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 27 February 2013 10.13am
The Thames in London is regulated by the Port of London Authority rather than the Environment Agency: http://www.boatingonthethames.co.uk

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 27 February 2013 12.45pm
Thanks you all!
Wednesday 27 February 2013 12.49pm
Let us know how you get on.

Wednesday 27 February 2013 3.06pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Let us know how you get on.
I will. If it is anywhere near as impractical/costly as Beverly suggests, I might drop this whim as fast as it came to me...
Wednesday 27 February 2013 3.43pm
Cheers. It's a thought I've had myself a few times, but never gone anywhere with it. I suspect that the difficult/expensive thing would be storage or mooring. Even for a little tin tub.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: