Burning Rubber/Chemical Smell London Bridge Area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 7 March 2013 12.19am
From around autumn last year I've been smelling this awful burning rubber almost chemically smell around the London Bridge area and it seems to be getting worse each day. It normally starts at night or at times I wake up to it around 3am and it lasts until late the next morning. It's horrible and my nostrils burn and my throat gets dry. Does anyone know if there's a chemical plant nearby?
Thursday 7 March 2013 9.30am
Where in London Bridge do you mean?
Friday 8 March 2013 10.18pm
i notice a smell like that when i walk on tanner street, east of Tower Bridge rd, past that new build and under the railway track, next to Maltby st. market .. have noticed it for long time, first thought it was related to the building site, then to one of the units in the bridge .. not sure, but an acrid unpleasant smell.
Monday 11 March 2013 9.32am
Having been puzzled by the smell myself I did a bit of detective work and have solved the mystery. It is the Monmouth Coffee Company on Tanner St. They roast their coffee beans there - giving out a strong burnt toast smell for miles around.....
Monday 11 March 2013 9.38am
Wow, that's very interesting .. and weird to think that something so "gourmet' and "posh" can be the hidden cause behind such an unpleasant smell ..
Monday 11 March 2013 9.47am
Yes indeedy - strange but true!...
Monday 11 March 2013 9.49am
Perhaps they should mention it on the advertising blurb for the large development being built on the corner of maltby and tanner street ;-)
Monday 11 March 2013 9.59am
There was a really bad drain/sewer (?) smell this morning around 7:30am as I walked through Guys Hospital along Great Maze Pond
Monday 11 March 2013 7.58pm
samalbasini wrote:
Having been puzzled by the smell myself I did a bit of detective work and have solved the mystery. It is the Monmouth Coffee Company on Tanner St. They roast their coffee beans there - giving out a strong burnt toast smell for miles around.....

Hi Samal

Back in summer 2011 I was working from home. Having the windows open I noticed a really strong burning smell around Shad Thames. It smelt like acrid burnt toast. Like you I followed my nose and found the source was Monmouth Coffee Company on Tanner Street.

I started this thread and then had a 14 email conversation with a lady from Monmouth. She admitted there was a problem with the filters and hoped to have the flues cleaned and filters replaced. I gave up after 14 emails as it was clear I was getting the run around and the stench persisted - and still persists.

I pointed her at this item on the Southwark website.

Her contact details are...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AJ Kinnell
QA Director
Monmouth Coffee Company Limited
Offices & Roasting
36 Maltby Street
London SE1 3PA
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
aj@monmouthcoffee.co.uk
tel 020 7232 3010
fax 020 7232 3015

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: