Tooley Street roadworks update

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
SE
Friday 8 March 2013 11.08am
I've been in touch with my local councillor about the Tooley Street roadworks, which were scheduled to finish on December 21 but have now over-run by two and a half months, causing gridlock around London Bridge and massive disruption to bus services.

Here is an official response to my councillor from Southwark Council's street works manager:

"We are just as frustrated with Southern Gas Networks as our residents...The works are managed by TfL. The gas works on Tooley Street were originally planned to end in December, however SGN requested an extension to the Street Works Permit with TfL up to April. Due to the slow progress of the works and lack of a continual site presence and after consulting with Southwark Council, the request was rejected. SGN are now incurring Section 74 charges on a daily basis. I am unable to give you a revised end date for the works as TfL and SGN are still in discussions regarding how best to complete the works with minimum disruption."

The councillor has arranged a meeting for residents with representatives from Southern Gas Networks, TfL and other ward councillors next week to discuss ways to reduce inconvenience as the works continue. I will be going, and will gladly take along any suggestions/recommendations (although I may restrict myself to relaying the polite ones!)
Friday 8 March 2013 11.33am
where and when is the meeting?
SE
Friday 8 March 2013 12.30pm
One morning next week, still to be arranged. It's designed for those residents who have contacted the councillor directly, so it's by invitation rather than an open event. But I can ask her if others can attend.
Friday 8 March 2013 12.42pm
This highlights a problem with Section 74 penalties unique in London.

I am assuming that Tooley Street is a Category 1 road (as part of the Strategic Road Network) and therefore the fine is 2,500 per day of overrun.

This money goes to TfL are the highway authority for the network. The money is ring-fenced: "Any excess [after the deduction of costs incurred administering the scheme] must be used to develop and implement safe, integrated, efficient and economic transport facilities and services." However TfL can use them anywhere in London.
Friday 8 March 2013 4.24pm
No doubt any penalty costs (peanuts to them) will be ultimately passed on to their customers anyway, so they couldn't give a t*ss how long it takes.
Zoe
Friday 8 March 2013 5.48pm
These roadworks will never end. Never, ever, ever.
Friday 8 March 2013 11.12pm
Truthmonkey-home wrote:
This highlights a problem with Section 74 penalties unique in London.
I am assuming that Tooley Street is a Category 1 road (as part of the Strategic Road Network) and therefore the fine is 2,500 per day of overrun.

This money goes to TfL are the highway authority for the network. The money is ring-fenced: "Any excess [after the deduction of costs incurred administering the scheme] must be used to develop and implement safe, integrated, efficient and economic transport facilities and services." However TfL can use them anywhere in London.

I didn't realise this, Truth. Thanks for that.

Maybe this is how the segregated cycle lanes announced yesterday will be paid for. It would only take 110 years to pay for.
Sunday 10 March 2013 11.16am
Zoe wrote:
These roadworks will never end. Never, ever, ever.

i suspect this may be so ...
ever since tooley street became two way 11 years ago, it's been one utility digging after another (plus two major water main bursts).
take the intersection with bermondsey street, this may as well have been left as a great big hole for the last 25 years for all the good that's been done. it appears this section can not be left undisturbed for more than a fortnight before someone else wants to dig it up.

as for sgn, they are the most incompetent of a bad lot. for three weekends in march last year, they came each friday night to sunday and dug and redug the same spot opposite 160 tooley street at the city hall bus stop. they put in a new blue junction pipe over the three weekends. after the paralympics they have reexcavated the same spot four times, the final time last week was to remove the nice still shiny blue junction pipe!
if these guys got the contract to build the great wall, it would still be in the scratching builder's crack stage ...
Sunday 10 March 2013 11.19am
SE wrote:
One morning next week, still to be arranged. It's designed for those residents who have contacted the councillor directly, so it's by invitation rather than an open event. But I can ask her if others can attend.

so it's one of our two female councillors and not the male one.
why the secrecy?
SE
Monday 11 March 2013 5.59pm
There is no secrecy. I've been dealing with Councillor Eliza Mann, who seems to have gone to some trouble to get answers, hold people accountable and reply to constituents. I wish I could say the same for Councillors Nick Stanton and Anood al-Samerai, both of whom completely ignored me when I contacted them. All three are Lib Dems.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: