Peabody Buildings, Southwark Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 9 March 2013 5.58pm
i lived in peabody buildings southwark street many years ago i remember it as a very close community and is their anyone living their who was their in the 60s
Sunday 10 March 2013 11.22am
john holland wrote:
i lived in peabody buildings southwark street many years ago i remember it as a very close community and is their anyone living their who was their in the 60s

there? three times, see me.
Sunday 10 March 2013 1.04pm
Completely unnecessary Kelland and to a first time poster.

I've lived here twelve years and I think the general view is the community has died. Any 'community' events have always ended up feeling a bit like Class War, with lines drawn and not to be crossed.
Tuesday 12 March 2013 10.22am
Stepping across a parched threshold onto the empty forum page, dust motes spiralled away from each finger as the baked electric air drove a wall of broken heat across the screen. Outside, the keening breeze roiled the land, tumbleweed dancing in its grip...
Thursday 21 March 2013 9.04am
I'd be interested in your view of how it was in the sixties, John, it might provide an impetus for those who read the forum to contribute their thoughts on what the estate has become. Many recognise that things have changed and decry the loss of community but there appears little will to reshape it. I wonder perhaps whether the focus of modern living itself has brought about a 'closed door' mentality, where once you arrive home after work, it's a case of plonk down in front of the telly for a couple of hours before hitting the sack.

Curiously given it's location, it isn't very well connected to any local social scene (mainly because there isn't one, being literally surrounded by offices) and the square is pretty much empty apart from the usual crew kicking a ball back and forth against the fence, hour after hour.

As an experiment to break this sense of isolation I'd like to see local traders invited onto the estate one weekend plying their trade; the focus of business to tenants strikes me as a profitable one and it would get people out of their flats.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: