Proposed bail hostel at Rotherhithe New Rd and Old Kent Rd

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Sunday 10 March 2013 11.10am
Hi all. Just wanted to post a link to an online petition to stop the proposed bail hostel at Rotherhithe New Rd and Old Kent Rd.

Further details at: http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/southwark-council-stop-the-proposed-bail-hostel-at-rotherhithe-new-rd-and-old-kent-rd

Related news & features

Sunday 10 March 2013 1.42pm
This is a really important issue for the local area.I am surprised more people are not aware of the proposal or its implications. It's a personal choice if you sign the petition, and even if you choose not to, please get informed and tell as many friends/family about it.

Please take a moment and click on ScottT's link-it makes very interesting reading.
Sunday 10 March 2013 9.37pm
"The wishes of thousands of residents, visitors, workers and businesspeople have been ignored".

That's what I read on the epetition. Of course, this would be par for the course for Southwark Council but in this instance I wonder how the campaigners know this is true?

Also wondering where else the bail hostel could be put in Southwark?
Monday 11 March 2013 9.04am
Merlin Rouge wrote:
I wonder how the campaigners know this is true?

To date there are 730 signatures of the petition. I think it's fair enough to extrapolate concern amongst thousands of local people as surely only a minority will have heard of the petition. But I couldnt find a single plausible reason why the proposed location makes less sense than other possible locations in Southwark. The argument seems to run that it is unsuitable because it is near transport links, businesses and schools. What part of Southwark isnt?
Monday 11 March 2013 9.39am
This is a really difficult issue and I can understand those who have concerns.

There have been London Probation Trust 'Approved Premises' on the Aylesbury Estate adjacent to Burgess Park for over 30 years. These are premises where released long-term prisoners come for strictly supervised periods of up to 6 months prior to their full integration back into the community. There are 12 other premises in London.

To my knowledge, during the last 30 years there has only ever been 1 minor criminal matter reported against the residents of the approved premises on the Aylesbury.

As part of the regeneration of the Aylesbury, and in order to address the current condition of the premises there, Southwark has been in negotiations with the Ministry of Justice and the London Probation Trust about moving them to another location in the borough. The site on the corner of the Old Kent Road / Rotherhithe New Road is one of the sites which has been carefully considered and is believed to be suitable.

I think it's important to remember that our justice system works on the basis of punishment and rehabilitation. As a society we cannot have the punishment without also seeking to rehabilitate those who have served their punishment. The Approved Premises on the Aylesbury and proposed at the Old Kent Road are a part of that rehabilitation process for those who have been in prison for a long time.

I am assured by the Probation Trust that those who move to Approved Premises only do so after careful consideration by the parole board and at the end of their sentence. They are not considered a danger in any way - otherwise they would not be released from prison. I guess if we didn't have approved premises released prisoners would go straight from prison to a new home in the community - without any close supervision as they currently receive at the approved premises.

I can understand the anxiety about the current proposals. I believe it is misplaced, but I also believe that some of the opposition to the proposal appears to challenge our fundamental approach to criminal justice in this country.

The council is continuing to look at other possible alternative sites in the borough, but as others have already rightly observed, you're never too far from schools, homes, shops or transport in our borough.
Monday 11 March 2013 10.52am
I would be very worried if I had young children and the residents of this bail hostel had been convicted of any sex crimes, especially towards the vulnerable.
Monday 11 March 2013 12.43pm
Neil wrote:
Merlin Rouge wrote:
I wonder how the campaigners know this is true?

To date there are 730 signatures of the petition. I think it's fair enough to extrapolate concern amongst thousands of local people as surely only a minority will have heard of the petition. But I couldnt find a single plausible reason why the proposed location makes less sense than other possible locations in Southwark. The argument seems to run that it is unsuitable because it is near transport links, businesses and schools. What part of Southwark isnt?

In addition to the online petition there is a door to door petition which as of yesterday had over 1,500 signatures, considering most locals knew nothing of the proposal 10 days ago this must say something. As to your second point what part of Southwark isnt, I would reverse that and ask what part is less suitable than immediately adjacent to elderly residents, close to care home, 3 minutes to the nearest nursery and primary school and 1 minute walk to the bus stop used by pupils from the local high school.
Monday 11 March 2013 12.57pm
PeterJohn wrote:
This is a really difficult issue and I can understand those who have concerns.
There have been London Probation Trust 'Approved Premises' on the Aylesbury Estate adjacent to Burgess Park for over 30 years. These are premises where released long-term prisoners come for strictly supervised periods of up to 6 months prior to their full integration back into the community. There are 12 other premises in London.

To my knowledge, during the last 30 years there has only ever been 1 minor criminal matter reported against the residents of the approved premises on the Aylesbury.

As part of the regeneration of the Aylesbury, and in order to address the current condition of the premises there, Southwark has been in negotiations with the Ministry of Justice and the London Probation Trust about moving them to another location in the borough. The site on the corner of the Old Kent Road / Rotherhithe New Road is one of the sites which has been carefully considered and is believed to be suitable.

I think it's important to remember that our justice system works on the basis of punishment and rehabilitation. As a society we cannot have the punishment without also seeking to rehabilitate those who have served their punishment. The Approved Premises on the Aylesbury and proposed at the Old Kent Road are a part of that rehabilitation process for those who have been in prison for a long time.

I am assured by the Probation Trust that those who move to Approved Premises only do so after careful consideration by the parole board and at the end of their sentence. They are not considered a danger in any way - otherwise they would not be released from prison. I guess if we didn't have approved premises released prisoners would go straight from prison to a new home in the community - without any close supervision as they currently receive at the approved premises.

I can understand the anxiety about the current proposals. I believe it is misplaced, but I also believe that some of the opposition to the proposal appears to challenge our fundamental approach to criminal justice in this country.

The council is continuing to look at other possible alternative sites in the borough, but as others have already rightly observed, you're never too far from schools, homes, shops or transport in our borough.

How questioning the suitability of a site appears to challenge our fundamental approach to the criminal justice system, I am at a loss to know, but more to the point why cant the council find room on the new estate where the bail hostel currently resides and is established in the area?
Finally, you say the council are looking at other sites why then is the Old Kent Road the only one being put forward for planning permission on the 4th April?
Monday 11 March 2013 1.47pm
Sue Thompson wrote:
why cant the council find room on the new estate where the bail hostel currently resides and is established in the area?

Will there be no transport links, businesses, children, elderly people there?
Monday 11 March 2013 2.15pm
Neil wrote:
Sue Thompson wrote:
why cant the council find room on the new estate where the bail hostel currently resides and is established in the area?

Will there be no transport links, businesses, children, elderly people there?

Think that might be the purpose of having a planning department .
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network