New(?) scam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 11 March 2013 8.13pm
Hi all

Been stopped twice now by a large lady on a bike cycling up and down the bike path on Union Street.

The dialogue is "Excuse me mate, my daughter has gone out with my keys - can I borrow 60p to call her?"

I politely decline - but this may change on her 3rd attempt ;-)
Monday 11 March 2013 9.19pm
I doubt that she wants 60p. probably she wants you to offer her the use of your phone so that she can ride off with it when she gets her hands on it.

Beware belles on bikes.
Monday 11 March 2013 9.41pm
I don't know how big this large lady is but it would almost be comical to watch her try and speed off...
Tuesday 12 March 2013 2.17pm
Same thing happened to me about a month ago, one Saturday outside the hoarding on the Heygate on New Kent Road.
She was stood on the corner of Elephant Road and New Kent Road with her bike and stopped me to ask the exact same question. I declined (genuinely didn't have change).
I crossed over to wait for my bus and watched her, she was just sat astride the bike but wasn't asking anyone else for change.
I did think then it was a bit of a scam, but also thought that if she tried to cycle off with any of my belongings, that I could probably have outrun her!
Tuesday 12 March 2013 4.29pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
I don't know how big this large lady is but it would almost be comical to watch her try and speed off...
. I now have visions of a Benny Hill type chase complete with large lady, phone, bike, milkman, naughty nurse, dog with a string of sausages and BSB trying to get his phone / 60p back.
Zoe
Tuesday 12 March 2013 9.03pm
I think she was hitting on BSB cos' she thought he was cute.
Tuesday 12 March 2013 9.07pm
<Like>

Thanks Zoe but she is not my type. And I think I can outrun her - even if she is on 2 wheels ;-)
Tuesday 12 March 2013 9.46pm
lullylush wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
. I now have visions of a Benny Hill type chase complete with large lady, phone, bike, milkman, naughty nurse, dog with a string of sausages and BSB trying to get his phone / 60p back.
Benny Hill
Wednesday 13 March 2013 7.22pm
She stopped me today, about 5:20pm. Corner of Union Street and Great Guildford Street. She got as far as saying "my daughter..." And I interrupted her with "oh, you want 20p! No, sorry". She looked stunned :-D
Thursday 14 March 2013 4.29pm
I was 'stopped' by her about 2 hours ago just outside St George the Martyr on Tabard St/BHS junction.

I clocked her asking someone about 20m in front of me something, and he walked off, so as I approached I knew who she was. She tried to get my attention, so I laughed and asked her if she needed 20p to phone her daughter.

Her face dropped and she slowly wobbled off with her bike, and her jaw, between her legs.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: