Rotherhithe in Evening Standard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 13 March 2013 6.26pm
Article on plans afoot for Rotherhithe & Canada Water development in today's Evening Standard. Mentioned a Waitrose & John Lewis which, sadly, was the most exciting thing for me. (BTW I love & support my local shops & markets but sometimes you just need a good supermarket and I'd much rather Waitrose than corporate monoliths like Tesco's and Sainsbury's which seem to be our only local options.)

Anyone know anymore about it?
Thursday 14 March 2013 10.31am
They've been talking about this for a few years now. I believe the plan is to redevelop everything around Decathlon, Harmsworth Quays (where they used to print the Standard!) and the retail park which includes the bingo hall, Pizza Hut, bowling alley etc.

Surrey Quays Shopping Centre itself is due to be extended (http://www.britishland.com/index.asp?pageid=42&newsid=371). However, given that it is 49% owned by Tesco (I don't know where I've plucked that figure from), I doubt somehow that we'll see either a Waitrose or John Lewis in the new, enlarged shopping centre.

I agree though; we could definitely do with a bit more variety. Personally, I would prefer a John Lewis store than a Waitrose supermarket because we are already well catered for in terms of grocery shopping.
Friday 15 March 2013 9.18am
Why not an Aldi they have some great bargains or even a larger LIdl I'm sure Gavin would appreciate one of these, I've often seen him with his Lidl bags bouncing along Lower road.
Thursday 21 March 2013 10.18pm
Drifting off thread here I know, but as we're discussing Rotherhithe, has anyone had the misfortune to sit in the car park previously known as Jamaica Rd. since Rotherhithe Tunnel's entrance was reduced to 6ft. 6ins?
It has been soul destroying to drive down Jamaica Rd. ever since the introduction of the 24 hour bus lane, but now it must be absolute purgatory.
It didn't affect me when I was driving a "black cab", but since I sold it, returned my green badge to TFL and retired, it would affect me now if I was dumb enough to drive down Jamaica Rd.
Of course, people who have no option but to use that road are not dumb, I'm not saying that, but wild horses wouldn't get ME to sit in that queue, even as a passenger.
On my daily exercise walk, I went along the river to The Chop House for a light lunch on Tuesday, (they do a discount via TopTable, don't think all retired "black cab" drivers are rolling in it.)
I returned via Tooley St. and Jamaica Rd., and the traffic was solid from Mill St., all the way to the roundabout at the tunnel.
Friday 22 March 2013 12.44am
Jamaica Rd. is UK's most congested, says Daily Mail yesterday.
Friday 22 March 2013 6.26am
clearly there is a need for another river crossing. the rotherhithe tunnel is totally inadequate for the needs of the traffic flow back and forth
Friday 22 March 2013 11.47pm
Mr. Pepper, it appears that you live in Rotherhithe, as do I.
I've often felt like an interloper on an SE1 site, when I live in relative comfort in SE16.
I digress, you, as an ex-black cab driver, probably view the situation traffic-wise as I do I, I imagine.
The changes at the entrance to Rotherhithe tunnel were introduced not as a way of improving traffic flow, on the contrary, they were probably put in place to hammer home the message from the tree-huggers and TFL.
WE WILL make your journey so difficult that you WILL give up your car, you WILL buy a bicycle, and you will NOT pollute the atmosphere with your mechanised vehicle.
I know a man who services our offices in the City and west London, he lives in Chingford.
He now takes a circuitous route home via Dartford tunnel at the end of the day, as he says that the short route via Tower Bridge, or Rotherhithe tunnel adds 50 or 60 minutes to his journey home at the end of the day.
Saturday 23 March 2013 7.32am
the attempt to pressure people into not using their cars is doomed to fail as long as public transport is so unreliable, dirty and unsafe. however i am not sure tfl and others are quite as Machiavellian as the previous post suggests, or even quite so intelligent!
Saturday 23 March 2013 8.34am
boroughpaul wrote:
the attempt to pressure people into not using their cars is doomed to fail as long as public transport is so unreliable, dirty and unsafe...

This is definitely off the original topic, but this thread contains several complaints about the unreliability of road transport - it's not an attribute of public transport alone.

Private transport is 'dirty'. Maybe not particularly so for the passenger, but it emits PM10s, NO2, CO and a lot of other stuff into the atmosphere that you wouldn't want to breath if you had a choice. It's one of the reasons that more than 4,000 people a year die in London of air pollution related issues.

Per passenger mile "Killed and Seriously Injured" (KSI) rates in private transport are considerably higher than on public transport, so it's statistically not true that it's unsafe.

So, for all of their benefits of convenience and privacy, private cars are unreliable, dirty and unsafe.
Monday 25 March 2013 10.57am
Couple of things - I catch buses along Jamaica Road, and agree that the innovations to the Rotherhithe Tunnel have made the situation even worse than before, but it was awful before as well at particular times of the day.
Yes there is a bus lane, thank God, but I can wait for 15 minutes + whilst the buses try to clear the traffic lights near the Dickens Estate to get on to the bus lane. Incredibly frustrating and not helped by car drivers leaving longer than needed gaps between them, being slow to move when they have the opportunity, or waiting too late before they get into the right lane. BIG advantages they have (car drivers) - they are not out in the cold, rain and wind, or breathing in the pollution caused by cars.

Also, the buses in the area (although not regular enough, particularly the C10- which has a very long route) and extremely crowded and getting worse as they keep building accommodation in every gap they can find, are not dirty or unsafe in my experience.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: