Evening Standard London Housing Debate 20.03.12

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 14 March 2013 7.07pm
As a fair proportion of posts in this forum are housing or planning related, the following may be of interest to some of you.

Next Wednesday evening the London Evening Standard are hosting the London Housing Debate.

http://standardevents.co.uk/housing

From the Evening Standard website: wrote:
The free public event will be chaired by the BBC's Jon Sopel. The panel is: Richard Blakeway, deputy mayor for housing; Rob Perrins, group MD at Berkeley Group; former London mayor Ken Livingstone, broadcaster Janet Street-Porter, writer Alain de Botton and the Evening Standard's Rosamund Urwin.

Tickets are now sold out, but the Evening Standard is accepting questions to the panel which you can send to:

editor@standard.co.uk

Live Twitter feed at: #ESDebate
Thursday 14 March 2013 7.59pm
thanks floodplain
I wasn't aware of that.. only wish I had a ticket.thanks for the link.. so many questions ..so little time!
Thursday 14 March 2013 8.06pm
It's not too late - think of a really good question that the journalists would want to put to the panel
Thursday 14 March 2013 8.33pm
For me, I think the question will have to be around housing supply and definitions of 'affordability'.. I cannot understand how any govt can have any claims to a viable housing policy without (a) building new social and affordable housing in large numbers ( and I use those terms deliberately as there seems to me to be a wilful attempt by govt to obfuscate in this field).
(b) recognising that shelter is a fundamental right for people.. and that the UK's failure to provide adequate housing is a sad indictment of a so called 'civilised' society
Friday 15 March 2013 11.47am
REALLY interesting...wish I could go. Any idea as to whether it'll be streamed somewhere?
Friday 15 March 2013 7.51pm
Jackie,

I would propose that you send your queries / suggestions to the Evening Standard ref. streaming - there will be a live twitter feed on the night. Ask to speak to their Head of Events.
Thursday 21 March 2013 12.47am
Interesting debate this evening - I expect there'll be a report in tomorrow's Standard.

Key themes were: calls for the return of rent controls in the private sector, taxes on empty properties held by overseas owners using London as a giant 'bank account', use of public money to build Council Houses instead of effectively paying housing benefit to private landlords - plus some frankly demented ideas such as demolition of all two-storey Victorian housing and the removal of all planning controls (and planning officers...)

Ken Livingstone, in his comments, referred specifically to the One Tower Bridge development visible from the Mayor's Office in the GLA Building as an example of London's 'self-inflicted' Housing crisis.

When he was Mayor, he said he was forever trying to get the 'Liberal Democrat' (sic) Council to get a move on and agree planning consent for the Potters Fields site.

When pressing a Lib-Dem Councillor to explain why it was taking them so long - he claimed that the Councillor in question explained that they had only won the Ward by around 250 votes and that they 'wanted to be sure that they knew how people were going to vote in the new flats'.
Thursday 21 March 2013 8.05am
Wow...shades of Shirley Porter and the gerrymandering scandal...doesnt surprise me!
Thursday 21 March 2013 10.52am
I am surprised that Ken Livingstone referred to the development next to City Hall as it is now accepted that Labour should never have tried to forcing through such an ugly and unambitious scheme - what was called at the time the 'daleks'. This was certainly not about gerrymandering - it was about achieving a better deal for existing residents by being on their side. If this is indeed what was said by Ken Livingstone last night he needs to withdraw the comments as they are serious and legally questionable.

Lib Dem councillors worked incredibly hard to ensure that the development that took place on this site was in keeping with what local residents wanted. We were always clear that there must be a cultural space for all to access at such an iconic location. Huge credit should go to my collegue, Councillor Nick Stanton, who spent tireless hours negotiating on behalf of Southwark residents to get a development that was good for the borough and not just the developers.

This was despite the Labour Mayor and the Labour Deputy Prime Minister trying to force through and over-ride planning decisions made by local councillors and supported by local residents.

Sadly not much has changed when we see a Labour run council pushing through developments with no affordable homes whatsoever despite the desperate pleas from local people for better deals. We absolutely need social housing in Southwark and the way to achieve that is not to rush deals but to fight hard.

It may have taken Lib Dem councillors longer that the Mayor at the time would have liked, but we did get a better deal at Potters Fields because we actually listened to the views of residents rather than forcing luxury flats developments on them.
Thursday 21 March 2013 11.26am
Cllr Al-Samerai

Am I looking at the wrong development? Does that last sentence say ' because we actually listened to the views of residents rather than forcing luxury flats developments on them'
Please take a look at the following link that suggests prices upwards of 795k.

http://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/property-developers/berkeley/developments/one-tower-bridge
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: