Mugging attempt on Thames Path

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Saturday 16 March 2013 12.42pm
I was involved in an attempted mugging on Friday (15 March) at 2pm on the Thames Path about 30 yards east of the Angel pub in Rotherhithe. Three black muggers, all wearing hoodies and with scarves over their faces, were trying to rob a white man in his late thirties. As I approached with my son and partner, the leader – over six foot with striking eyes – did not back off, but we spoke to the potential victim and told him to come with us. He did, and the muggers walked off up Cathay St. The man was really shaken and just wanted to get back home – he said he had lived in the area for 10 years and never seen anything like it. We carried on for a drink in the Mayflower. This is a quiet stretch of the path, so be aware – but don’t stop going to this great, historic area with the Angel, the Mayflower, Brunel Museum, St Mary's Church, Rotherhithe picture library and great river views. In fact, go there more often and see off the muggers!
Saturday 16 March 2013 12.48pm
Good job you rocked up Tony.

I know the area well and love it. Sadly, I find myself looking behind and around a lot more for these toe rags. This has only happened over the last year or so.

This site is excellent for warning folks of mugging hot-spots. I just hope the cops read SE1 threads to gather intelligence.
Saturday 16 March 2013 1.43pm
I regularly go for a run that way and last week noticed 3 suspicious looking lads, not older than 18, 1 black 2 white, who appeared to be checking the area out. This was around lunchtime. It can be quite desolate around there, to the degree that I feel uncomfortable going for a run all by myself (not that I carry anything worth mugging). I have seen a police care patrolling around Sovereign Crescent on a couple of occasions, but these scallywags seem to be spreading like a rash... I wonder how connected they all are.
Saturday 16 March 2013 4.17pm
Tony Quinn wrote:
. In fact, go there more often and see off the muggers!
As a matter of fact, currently it's only a colleague and me going for a run. It's a perfect stretch - not a lot of people around so you don't bother anyone - I think we'll expand our "running group" a little bit with some more colleagues who are interested, hopefully to create more presence. The reason this happened at 2pm though might be that by then all the lunchtime runners have returned to work...
Saturday 16 March 2013 4.55pm
Blimey I run along there on my tod all the time. Have never had any bother, and my running style is more likely to encourage sympathy than crime, but still I'll be a bit more aware in future.

Good on yer Tony Quinn for helping and not turning a blind eye.
Saturday 16 March 2013 6.01pm
Well done Tony, but please report it even if you only have a brief description of the muggers such as height, rough age & clothes etc. I had 2 bikes stolen 3 weeks ago and tracked them down for sale in a local shop. With the info I have been able to provide to the Police, they tell me they are on the verge of nicking the thieves.

All it needs is a call to the Riverside Neighbour Team on 0208 721 2440 and I am sure they will visit you for a statement.

These people will be back again
Monday 18 March 2013 10.51am
I also run this loop on the Thames path and have had a number of incidents in the past 6 months - two young men followed me down the street near the Hilton on their bikes, crossing the road onto the sidewalk behind me until I ducked into the pub; after which they waited across the street. This was right around the lunch hour as well, during September.

While running in Southwark Park I also had a young man expose himself to me and then give chase through the park; this was in the evening during the summer. I reported both to the police, and while they were quite nice about it, they didn't offer to check out CCTV or anything like that, so I don't know how much of an impact my reports made. I now carry a pepper spray as there are clearly people up to no good in this area, looking to take mobile phones and who knows what else.
Monday 18 March 2013 11.01am
kate j wrote:
I now carry a pepper spray as there are clearly people up to no good in this area

I'm afraid that's illegal and posting on a forum to say you carry a prohibeted weapon is not a good idea, kate.
Monday 18 March 2013 11.02am
kate j wrote:
I now carry a pepper spray

Pepper spray is illegal to posses or use in the UK.

I'm hoping you mean one of the legal self-defence sprays. We want wrong do-ers to get into trouble not you!
Monday 18 March 2013 12.18pm
The legal sprays are dyes right? Great for finding them afterwards, but not much use in stopping a violent / sexual attack.

Sounds like you've had some terrible experiences Kate, no wonder you want to protect yourself
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: