Dog and Pot and Monkey Puzzle Tree

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 18 March 2013 7.35pm
I very much like the new Dog and Pot 'Dickens' monument opposite Southwark Tube but can anyone tell me what has happened to the old monkey puzzle tree that used to be nearby, and why? Seeing it used to give me great pleasure every time I walked past.

David, Webber Street
Monday 18 March 2013 8.15pm
The Monkey Puzzle Tree has moved round the corner into Nelson Square itself, and keeps up a lively commentary on local events via Twitter.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 18 March 2013 9.01pm
Thanks James

That is good news. I will look him up.

Best

David
Zoe
Tuesday 19 March 2013 7.38am
I also love the monkey puzzle tree. Thanks for the link James, I am sending my love to help the tree survive it's move!
Tuesday 19 March 2013 10.48am
Does anyone feel that the pot should be painted gold?
Tuesday 19 March 2013 1.40pm
Yes,that's what we said,immediately.It would draw peoples' attention to it,and we would like to see a solar lamp inside the pot to illuminate it discretely at night.Also,there's such a mess of street 'furniture' around,especially the hideous orange painted streetlamp which ruins the look.Shame,it detracts from the idea of the statue's Victorian origins.It's a very welcome addition,though.
Tuesday 19 March 2013 1.48pm
I like it, just felt it need a little more emphasis given the quote. You've also reminded me it should be spot lit, taking power from those street lamps. I do like the idea of lighting it from inside though.
Monday 25 March 2013 10.57am
Dear David and Zoe,

The Monkey Puzzle Tree very much appreciates your interest, thank you! The MPT is actually quite happy in its new position, in Nelson Square round the back of the Lord Nelson . It is a very much loved tree and it IS THE ONLY MPT IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD!

It has also been described as the 'arboricultural equivalent of a Millwall fan' [The MPT is actually quite proud of this title, being true to its postcode and loving local Millwall fans]

MPTs are very slow growing so it will be a good 6 months to a year before Southwark's tree guru can give it a full bill of health

The MPTs Twitter account is: https://twitter.com/SE1MonkeyPuzzle

The MPT ~ waves ~ and blows kisses XXX
Zoe
Monday 25 March 2013 10.14pm
Thank you monkey puzzle tree!

Xxxx
Monday 25 March 2013 10.28pm
Dear All

I have now been round to see MPT in new location and he seems happy enough. Well done to Council if it was they who moved/saved the tree.

Keep up the support

David
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: