Fruit and veg in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 28 March 2013 9.59am
Hello all

Just moved to the Peabody Estate off Stamford St and was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent place to get my fruit and veg from? Sainsbury's wanted 1.10 for three onions yesterday - the shop I used to go to in the east end sold massive bags for a quid! Besides, I'd much rather spend my money in a local business than in a supermarket.

Obviously I'm aware of Borough Market, but I think that's a bit upmarket for the daily veg I'm after. I was going to try East Street next as I can get my shopping back on the bus. Any other suggestions of markets/stalls/shops would be gratefully received!
Thursday 28 March 2013 10.17am
Lower Marsh market still has at least one fruit and veg stall

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 28 March 2013 10.34am
Lower Marsh:
Dave's fruit and veg stall is currently outside Iceland's but will move back to its normal position at the entrance to the market - Waterloo Road end- when the repaving is finished.
Greensmiths has a fuit and veg floor.
There is a fruit only stall about 25 yards beyond Icelands towards Westminster Bridge Road.
Thursday 28 March 2013 11.49am
There's also the guy under the bridge on Blackfriar's Rd, next to Southwark Tube that might be worth checking out.
Thursday 28 March 2013 11.52am
I was going to mention him Tolstoy but wasn't sure if that one was just a fruit stall (no veg).

I'm impressed with that fella though,he started off with a tray of oranges and has now built himself up to a full stall.
Thursday 28 March 2013 12.29pm
Thanks for your suggestions! Is Dave on lower marsh about on a weekend? I never knew Greensmith's had a fruit and veg floor. Will pop in.

Is East Street worth the trip compared with what I can get on lower marsh?
Thursday 28 March 2013 12.37pm
Can't beat Mick's Fruit & veg in 'The Blue' Market Place Southwark Park Road - not strictly SE1 tho'.
Borough High St quality, Bermondsey prices - tell him Graham sent you!
emu
Thursday 28 March 2013 5.17pm
we only moved here a few months ago but swear by east street market for our weekly fruit and veg shop. Some great stalls, friendly faces, low prices and pretty much everything you could possibly want. The freshness of the produce changes from stall to stall week by week but you can touch, try, select your own, mving to a different stall if it isnt fresh enough. You can also buy half bowls and small amounts instead of the ready created bowls of fruit and veg. Even been given produce for free where the amount we wanted was small.
Thursday 28 March 2013 9.17pm
I second the recommendation for Dave on Lower Marsh.

Greensmiths isn't always as expensive as it looks, although there is the occasional anomaly.

The other thing to look out for is that some convenience stores (eg the one on Flat Iron Square) sell bowls of stuff (fruit, usually, but often onions or peppers), one pound for the bowl.

You can't rely on them, but it's often worth a look, and they open at convenient times, too.
Friday 29 March 2013 7.47am
I would highly recommend the Fruit Tree on Great Suffolk Street, close to the Borough High Street end)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: