Old Pictures from the 50's - 60's

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 1 April 2013 12.14am
I lived in Southwark just off Harper Road in the 50's and 60's on Ralph Street where the park now is between Dickens Square and Falmouth Road. Does anyone have any pictures of Ralph Street or the little shops that were on the corner of Ralph Street and Harper road or pictures of the bombsite that sat empty for years - any information as to where I can locate some photos would be greatly appreciated. As we get older we seem to find solace in the place we grew up and I remember playing on the bombsite as a kid. We were the Mapes family and we lived at 16 Ralph Street there were 6 boys and one girl and we lived next door to the Malcolms.
Sunday 26 January 2014 12.23am
mapesk wrote:
I lived in Southwark just off Harper Road in the 50's and 60's on Ralph Street where the park now is between Dickens Square and Falmouth Road. Does anyone have any pictures of Ralph Street or the little shops that were on the corner of Ralph Street and Harper road or pictures of the bombsite that sat empty for years - any information as to where I can locate some photos would be greatly appreciated. As we get older we seem to find solace in the place we grew up and I remember playing on the bombsite as a kid. We were the Mapes family and we lived at 16 Ralph Street there were 6 boys and one girl and we lived next door to the Malcolms.
We were neighbours! We lived at 18 and I remember the family next door emigrating to Canada! My mum & dad were Rose & Charlie (my mum was blind) and there was myself, Susan ans my little sister Bernadette! We moved out in 1966 as they were demolishing the houses but I went back a couple of years ago and the street has gone as well!!
Sunday 26 January 2014 5.50am
Sue Holland wrote:
mapesk wrote:
We were neighbours! We lived at 18 and I remember the family next door emigrating to Canada! My mum & dad were Rose & Charlie (my mum was blind) and there was myself, Susan ans my little sister Bernadette! We moved out in 1966 as they were demolishing the houses but I went back a couple of years ago and the street has gone as well!!

Thanks Sue I remember your family - it was a nice neighbourhood back then....do you have any pictures of Ralph St. Did you move out because the LCC was knocking down the houses?? Do you remember the bombsite behind your house?? Look forward to your reply.
Sunday 26 January 2014 5.53am
Thanks Sue I remember your family - it was a nice neighbourhood back then....do you have any pictures of Ralph St. Did you move out because the LCC was knocking down the houses?? Do you remember the bombsite behind your house?? Look forward to your reply.

Keven
Sunday 18 December 2016 10.01am
I first lived with my mum and dad, Dot & Ron NEWMAN at my nans (Emily - Em) house in Ralph St (not sure if the number) My parents were only there for a couple of years, then we moved around the Corner to Brockham St (one of the houses in front of the backstreet garage). Anyone remember any of them?
Thursday 22 December 2016 1.21pm
I think that there were at least two shops in Ralph Street during the late fifties, early sixties? We used to call one of them 'Roses' or maybe Rosie? (left hand side if you were entering from Harper Road). The other was on the corner of Ralph and Harper, we used to say that we were going to the dairy. They maybe sold Sterilised Milk there, which was very popular at the time. Turning out of the street towards The Borough, was a raised plinth like section above the pavement and this led to Dr. Radclyffe's surgey. It had one of those blue lights above the entrance. He later moved to the junction of Falmouth and Harper, went on to marry the hairdesser Lucette De Paris from the shop almost opposite. Hope I got this right!! Only describing the streets, as I could not find any really detailed photos. Please post if anyone has some.
Thursday 22 December 2016 3.33pm
Try http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk/ - type Ralph Street into the search box and you'll find half a dozen photos

Try Dickens Square, Falmouth Road and Harper Road for a further selection of photos, mostly from the 1950s and from the 1970s just before the Dickens Square area was demolished.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: