Cable club licence review (was: Noise last night - Bermondsey St)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Tuesday 2 April 2013 10.04am
Exhausted from no sleep last night!

Did anyone else hear the constant shouting, beeping of car horns and general screaming last night around the Bermonsdey Street area?

I am guessing it was Cable - some bank holiday event on till 5am this morning. Who's it best to complain to? Has it been decided whether they will stay after the London Bridge station refurb?

Thanks!!

Jon

Related news & features

Tuesday 2 April 2013 11.03am
I would put a complaint in to the council and the police, in case either are bothering to keep records. Two cars parked up on the Guinness estate on Sunday morning (6am) blasting crap music, gerning, swapping splifs and blowing up balloons. I called the police who came and had a laugh with them for a while before getting them to drive off clearly under the influence of many things.
Tuesday 2 April 2013 11.53am
and now that the far side pavement is blocked off... you have to walk into the road to get past bouncers/swaying happy clubbers /vomiting not so happy clubbers. walking down shand street to avoid said clubbers terday theres flyers strewn everywhere / cans / vodka and beer bottles smashed. do cable have no responsibility for any of this mayhem.
Tuesday 2 April 2013 1.46pm
I don't know which is saddest, the undeniable fact that these things happen, and shouldn't, (you have my sincere sympathies.)
Or the slim hope that you cling to, that some "authority" cares, and can and will, do something about it.
The expression, "I wouldn't hold my breath" comes to mind.
Wednesday 3 April 2013 8.28pm
We called the council and they are not interested , or rather , they claim they cannot do anything as it falls within the rules of policing and road / traffic regulation . As for the police , they claim we are lucky in Southwark to have 8 bobbies on the beat anyway so that will get us nowhere .
If we can get more response from residents who are fed up about this , we could group together and try to get the 24 hour licence revoked . We can also go to Simon Hughes and raise our argument with him in person .
Any views ?
Wednesday 3 April 2013 10.21pm
frank speaker wrote:
We called the council and they are not interested , or rather , they claim they cannot do anything as it falls within the rules of policing and road / traffic regulation . As for the police , they claim we are lucky in Southwark to have 8 bobbies on the beat anyway so that will get us nowhere .
If we can get more response from residents who are fed up about this , we could group together and try to get the 24 hour licence revoked . We can also go to Simon Hughes and raise our argument with him in person .
Any views ?

Good luck with that.........
Thursday 4 April 2013 8.20am
The police have applied for an expedited review of Cable's licence:
http://app.southwark.gov.uk/Licensing/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=840693

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 4 April 2013 9.26am
I contacted the council, Boris Johnson's office and Simon Hughes a while ago about the mayhem caused by cable after seeing a woman with buggy almost be hit by a car as she was in the road because the pavement was blocked, a clubber being loaded into an ambulance and (what I assume to be)coke being chopped by people sitting on the pavement across the road- all on the same morning. The responses were all the same - not our problem. None of them were remotely interested.
Thursday 4 April 2013 10.19am
To be fair to City Hall they have no remit here really, and Simon Hughes only does as an advocate.

If a licensed premises is causing a nuisance then it is firmly a council matter. Licensing (particularly in urban areas) is a balance, but there is some good guidance from another council here.

If you aren't getting the help you need from Southwark Council then take it up with your local Councillor. It's their job - one they are paid over 10k a year to do!
Thursday 4 April 2013 2.48pm
Thanks everyone.

That seems good news about the license review. It looks like that was applied for in the last couple of days.

Does anyone have any experience of these type reviews? Do they usually amount to nothing? Are these just standard practice for all premises once in a while or would it have been something specific (perhaps the weekend) that triggered it?

I will write to the local councillor as well.

Sooner it goes the better. Didn't help that Timeout magazine rated it the best club in London (albeit in 2011). I have no idea why.

Jon
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: