Drivers and cyclists

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 7 April 2013 6.43pm
Last night at gone 8 I nearly knocked a cyclist off his bike,in my defence he had no lights on his bike but never the less I am so sorry if I scared you.The incident was at St James road/Dockley road...Again I'm very sorry...
Sunday 7 April 2013 8.27pm
I was forlornly clicking on this fearing a new drivers v cyclists thread - and was so pleasantly surprised.

Very good of you to apologise - all should remember to light up / watch out for vulnerable road users, as a appropriate.
Sunday 7 April 2013 8.36pm
I find the no lights thing so ridiculous.I am a committed cyclists,and have two lights in the front and two on the back,and a spare front and back in my bag plus spare batteries.I'm going to apologise to you on his behalf for breaking the highway code.
Monday 8 April 2013 8.31am
Serious question. Are the strips of flashing lights as fitted to Boris-bikes, both front and rear, legal ?
I thought that lights on bicycles had to be a certain size and on permanently during lighting-up time.
Please cyclists use the flashing strips as an "aide de lamp" not as your main means of being seen.
Monday 8 April 2013 8.57am
I think I'm right in saying the law was changed in relation to this. Flashing lights are more effective in my view at drawing ones attention, are generally brighter than fixed lights and more energy efficient.
Monday 8 April 2013 10.45am
https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

"At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.
Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24"
Monday 8 April 2013 11.31am
Real-Crimes wrote:
Last night at gone 8 I nearly knocked a cyclist off his bike,in my defence he had no lights on his bike but never the less I am so sorry if I scared you.The incident was at St James road/Dockley road...Again I'm very sorry...

I also feared the usual xenophobic attack on cyclists and was pleasantly surprised indeed. But, cyclist on bicycles without lights should not be forgiven. It is unacceptable, dangerous and detrimental to the cyclists cause.
Monday 8 April 2013 11.46am
maurits wrote:
Real-Crimes wrote:

I also feared the usual xenophobic attack on cyclists and was pleasantly surprised indeed. But, cyclist on bicycles without lights should not be forgiven. It is unacceptable, dangerous and detrimental to the cyclists cause.

I really don't want to start any pointles wars again (I have stayed away from any traffic related topics because I didn't see the point) but I have to draw the line at being called a xenophobe. That is uncalled for.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: