Co-op in Southwark Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 7 April 2013 9.37pm
Been on holiday and now back and have had a first experience in the now 'improved' Co-op store on SBR.

Oh dear! It's now even worse. I think I will be using the Costcutter on The Cut, with its shelves groaning with choice, from now on. The only choice at the Co-op seems to be the fresh air of a soviet era supermarket shelf and things I'd not buy. It reminds me of a trip to Havana where you can find a bycicle shop with nothing but car tyres and a car tyre shop with nothing but flip flops available..... Something is clearly, and tragically, wrong with Co-op's logistics that means they can have swathes of emptyness where other stores have products to sell. Despite the fact they have nothing to sell I was tailed around the place by a security guard. Quite what he was securing I wasn't entirely sure.
Monday 8 April 2013 8.11am
thought it was me-security followed me around too
Monday 8 April 2013 11.58am
I honestly don't recognize this description. I shopped there late on Saturday evening and the shelves were all fully stocked.

The refurb is a much better layout, It had a pleasingly wide range and was a 1000% better than the old Costcutter.
Monday 8 April 2013 12.03pm
Funny that. It must have deteriorated in the last few days. I was in there last week thinking what a much better range they had and better quality than Tesco. Didn't see a security guard - but for some strange reason they've put the tills at the far end from the entrance/exit which must be very convenient for shoplifters.
Monday 8 April 2013 12.20pm
I'm surprised. I think it is improved now, I quite like it - their shelves are much fuller now, especially fruit and veg ones (not that I buy from there, I go to the Fruit Tree). Having said that, they didn't have any mini eggs over Easter...
Monday 8 April 2013 12.34pm
When I read this thread this morning I went into the Coop on Great Dover Street and was pleasantly surprised. I found the store much improved, well stocked. The Fruit & Veg much better than before and better than Tesco Express.

I shall be a returning customer.
Monday 8 April 2013 8.36pm
It's a great improvement on the old Costcutter. Much more choice and better quality. They've lacked a few items I've gone in looking for, but I'll definitely continue shopping there.
Monday 8 April 2013 9.42pm
I'd guess that the refurbished store has a good 30% fewer lines than Costcutter as was. The frozen selection, in particular, is vanishingly small (actually, so small I didn't find it), as is the selection of things like detergents. Likewise, sweets and snacks (an odd thing to struggle with in a convenience store). Oddly, there is a comparable array of wines to Costcutter (at much higher prices), but a vanisingly small selection of canned beers (not surprising that these shelves with just 6 available brands were barren and quite how they end up with nothing but 2 cans of whatever when they only sell in packs of 4 I'm not sure).

Am I also alone in finding the superficially shiny refurbished store appallingly dark, congested, claustrophobic and frustratingly and randomly arranged?
cbg
Monday 8 April 2013 10.03pm
I find the refurbished store quite pleasant and lighter than the old Costcutter. I usually eat fresh food and am therefore not too troubled by the fact that there is less of it on offer.
Monday 8 April 2013 11.18pm
I've been impressed by the new Co-Op, though I have found sometimes later in the day, that the shelves do appear to have very little stock on them. (Well, that was the case last Friday anyway). They do seem to stock up over night though, and during the day there doesn't seem to be a problem.

They don't have the capacity for the selection you'd get at a big Tesco or Sainsburys, but I much prefer the new Co-Op to any of the local Tesco stores (Borough Road for example)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: