Shops on Great Suffolk Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 8 April 2013 10.55pm
Hello all,

I have been very happily living in Southwark for 6 months now. I'm very close to Great Suffolk Street and love all the small shops there - the Fruit Tree, Terry's Cafe, the butchers...

One thing that does make me unhappy though are the opening hours of these shops, particularly the Fruit Tree, which closes by 6pm. The earliest I get back home from work is 6.15pm. It means I can only go to the Fuit Tree for my fruit and veg on the weekend. Though that's not very difficult, I do prefer buying stuff every other day or so rather than for the week.

I understand they open really early in the morning (6am) and was thinking whether it would be better for their business and for customers like me if they opened from 7 am to 7 pm.

Just wondered if this had been raised before and what other people's thoughts were?

Monday 8 April 2013 11.14pm
Hi Asiya,

I see your point.

The dry cleaners, the barber shop, the betting shop, Terry's Cafe (on some evenings) and of course the Fish & Chip Shop all stay open later than normal.

For fruit & veges there is the new Co-Op just around the corner on Southwark Bridge Road. I've never personally shopped at The Fruit Tree, so I can't compare their prices with the Co-Op. However, I have been fairly impressed with the new Co-Op so far.

If enough people are interested in the shops opening later, I would certainly be happy to look into speaking to them.

Tuesday 9 April 2013 6.58am
I agree, it is a bit of a pain, but as small businesses they probably don't have the capacity for longer opening hours. It took me weeks to manage to get a key cut, as I never left work early enough. While we could just get out of bed earlier, the reality is that we won't and I like to do shopping on the way home, to avoid carrying it around work.

I always stop at The Fruit Tree on the way home on the few occasions I am out of work early, as I like to support local shops. A 6.30pm closing could well get them quite a few more customers, but they could also find they are doing longer hours for just a few people.
Tuesday 9 April 2013 11.18am
Why not talk it through with the veg shop the next time you go in there? I imagine they'll be happy to tell you why they have the opening hours that they do.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 9 April 2013 11.29am
As Zoe said, I prefer shopping at local shops, but I have to often go to the co-op for fruits and veg because the Fruit Tree closes so early (I used to live near Caledonian Road and there was lovely local fruit and veg shop there which was open from 7am to 11pm, so I suppose I am a bit spoilt!)

I have mentioned to the people who work there that it's a bit inconvenient that they close at 6pm but haven't ever got much of a reaction. It made me wonder if I'm one of only a handful of people who feel so. I imagine if there are more people, we could talk to them collectively.
Tuesday 9 April 2013 1.02pm
The Fruit Tree is owned by the same people who own the sandwich bar and bakery, so it's probably best to go in there and ask to speak to one of the owners. The lady who works in The Fruit Tree is an employee, so would be unlikely to be a position to make any decision on extended opening hours. I suspect, though, that as they already have such a long day, they may not see the need to open later in the evening.
Tuesday 9 April 2013 1.23pm
I bet their day starts a lot earlier than 6am.
Tuesday 9 April 2013 6.09pm
You can set up a weekly delivery if you live in the area. I would ask the next time you are there.
Wednesday 10 April 2013 11.33am
When I lived localy I agree - never used any of them as they were all shut at the hours where I do my shopping (after 7, weekend afternoons). The Fruit Tree is new since then and looks great.
Wednesday 10 April 2013 11.37am
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to talk to them this weekend. I'm not suggesting that they work longer hours, I think they could do with opening a bit later, not sure how many customers they get at 6 in the morning.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: