Use of former COI building in Hercules Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 9 April 2013 10.44am
I was delighted to read that the Oasis Academy school is not going to move into the former COI building in Hercules Road. I believe the young people of this area deserve a better school than an old office building without any playing fields. The idea for a rooftop recreation area was always farfetched and invited controversy.
Tuesday 9 April 2013 11.17am
The playing fields at Geraldine Mary Harmonsworth Park are only two minutes away. They are used by Notre Dame Girls School. Could they not use those? The building where the school is now to be located is not much different from the COI one.

I would argue anyway, that the secret of a good school is inspirational teachers and parents who ensure their children do the work. I think education is more about attitude rather than extensive facilities.
Tuesday 9 April 2013 4.37pm
I went to St Saviour's and St Olave's - we had a tarmacced playground, but for proper sports we went all the way down to East Dulwich for tennis, athletics, cricket etc. The boys' school (Tooley St, then Orpington) had way better facilities than us - they even had their own swimming pool.

I agree with Beverly that teachers and parents are more important in building a good school ethos, but sadly shiny new buildings and state of the art facilities are what attracts these days.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: