New Kent Road Gun Shop

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 11 April 2013 11.49am
Does anybody remember the Gun Shop that used to be along the New Kent Road?

It was just before a Petrol Station on the left and a Traffic Light controlled pedestrian crossing and beyond was the New Kent / Old Kent Road Flyover.

It was Collins Bros (The Southern Armoury) Ltd. 171 New Kent Road which closed for business during 1987. It had a clock outside with the words The South London Gunsmith underneath. I think it is a Hairdressing shop now.

I am after any memories or photos of the Gun Shop.

Thanks
Thursday 11 April 2013 12.19pm
Glenn,
I remember the gun shop, we used to buy pellets for our slug guns they were made of lead, I seem to remember the man who owned it was a bit miserable and in those days I think you could only buy pellets if you were 16 or over, we used to have our paragon school uniforms on and he would ask us if we were 16 and then give us a look when we said we were but still sell them to us.
Thursday 11 April 2013 12.43pm
I remember that shop,I don't think I ever went in there,my mate ,who had ample bumfluff (teenage moustache),used to go and get the pellets for our Gatt guns and then straight over Tabard park to terrorise the pigeons,don't thik we ever hit one.
Thursday 11 April 2013 8.16pm
I remember the gun shop. It seemed an oddity in that area, though the clock was handy on the way to school. I never went in, it wasn't the sort of place for nicely brought up grammar school girls!
Saturday 13 April 2013 5.37pm
Can't remember if there was a break in or robbery and that was why it closed? Pat it was odd that it was there for so long, then people could not buy illegal weapons...was it near Harry weeks travel agent? I forget!
Monday 27 May 2013 12.55pm
I remember the shop, I bought my first firearm there it was a 22 target rifle,Mr Collins was a well known dealer who appeared on TV giving advise on firearms, whilst buying the rifle his son Lewis came in the shop,(later to appear in the professionals)obviously before he was famous as this would be about 50 years ago.
Monday 27 May 2013 3.47pm
Hummerman, many thanks for remembering Tom Collins and his gunshop. However, I would like to say that despite sharing the same surname of Collins, Tom and Lewis (yes, from The Professionals) were not related at all. I have heard various "relationship" stories but they were only good friends. Lewis and his father both had an interest in shooting and Lewis was invited by Tom for an advert photoshoot for a gun magazine and Tom took Lewis shooting at Bisley, Surrey as a thank you.
Monday 21 October 2013 3.45pm
I have been uploading pictures of Tom Collins and his Southern Armoury business to Friends Reunited.

To view the pictures & perhaps leave a comment, please search for Southern Armoury Gun Club on Friends Reunited.

I am still seeking pictures of the shop.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 10.31pm
Hi
Just come across this post, I have pictures of Lewis outside the shop with Tom. Tom was my dads uncle and he said that Tom and Lewis were related, they were uncle and nephew.
I will find them and post them here if you would like
Wednesday 12 August 2015 8.08am
Wow that would be great Jaflorey, I remember the shop well. Thank you.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: