Millwall

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 16 April 2013 4.03pm
My wife's family, her father, brother, nephew, nieces, the nieces husbands and their sons, the nephew's wife, are all raving Millwall supporters, (the nephew's wife is Scottish and divides her loyalties with Rangers.)
When I say raving, I don't mean that they are of the hooligan persuasion.
All the males are season ticket holders, so naturally le tout famille, including my wife, were at Wembley for the semi final with Wigan, sans moi, as a West Ham supporter I'm lucky if I get invited over the pub with them.
When they all trooped dejectedly into The Adam in Brunel Rd. SE16 on Saturday evening I said to them, "Never mind, it's only a game, and at least Andy Carroll got WHU a point at Southampton."
When they calmed down I asked about the scenes that had been on the TV news of the crowd trouble.
My wife said that it kicked off behind them due to some guys smoking, as a non-smoker I didn't know that it wasn't allowed at Wembley, but it makes sense I guess, no doubt there are No Smoking signs at the Boleyn, but I've never looked for them.
The smokers were asked to put their cigarettes out by some other supporters, and replied with the age old rejoinder, f**k off.
This apparently led to the first few blows which then escalated as others joined in.
That was just the situation where her and the family were, no doubt the other outbreaks around the ground were for different reasons, but the media are saying that it was predominantly Millwall v Millwall, not Millwall v Wigan.
My brother-in-law said that a lot of the crowd were obviously drunk as skunks, probably with a 5.15 p.m. kick off they'd had plenty of time in the boozers before the game.
Tuesday 16 April 2013 4.35pm
i was at the game with my 12 year old son and we had 2 fights break out where we were sitting. The cause was people standing up who were yelled at to sit down as the kids behind could not see. The men in question got nasty and a fight broke out. The second fight i was not sure how that started but these were not teenage kids kicking off but men in their 40's and 50's who had obviously been drinking all day. My sister and her family were in the section where the trouble that has been shown on tele flared up and said similar about who was causing trouble and their condition.these were not football supporters nor "hooligans" in the general accepted definitions but anti social drunken yobs out to ruin a good day for the rest of the fans.

The stewards also did nothing to help protect the innocent fans and one of the fights was stopped by women getting involved-mainly as worried for the kids as there were lots of families at the game. There was also no police in the part of the ground we were in and the stewards seemed to make no effort to tell the police what was going on till it was too late.

I deplore the behaviour of the small amount of people that casued the trouble and hope they get banned by the club for life. I also deplore the fact that the 99.9% of fans who were well behaved and went to cheer on the team who had done so well to get to Wembley then get branded as scum by the media.
Tuesday 16 April 2013 5.09pm
I very nearly started a thread about retrospective policing after saturday,I really think it's an issue.
My mate was close to the main fracas and he said that people were pleading with stewards to get the police but they just shrugged shoulders,this was early in the proceedings,it escalated when kids and elderly people were getting pushed about,my mate said that as soon as someone complained they were in the fight.
I know that yobs started the trouble but it had been going on for a full 20 minutes before police arrived and by that time it was a free for all wild west style.
There were innocent men women and children amoungst that lot,I just do not know what the police were thinking but it reminded me of the riots,all the people involved will be nicked eventually thanks to cctv and police/TV cameras.
My mate also said that the stuff going on in the toilets in front of kids was a disgrace (drugs)and said that in general there was no respect present that day.
I'm afraid I saw it coming and never went because of it,I had two play off finals experiance to know what idiots turn up at such high profile games.
I have been told that it was the FA that sanctioned the general sale of tickets,they should have known better but hey,Wembley has to be paid for.
I'm gutted but i've been here so many times I know i'll get over it.
Anyway,I don't know what i'm doing replying to a west ham fan (;
Tuesday 16 April 2013 7.10pm
My cousin (68) and her son in his forties were there said police stood and did nothing when it all broke out, she said that one lout knocked over a small boy and the lout ended up bashing the father! her nephews were attacked also..shame that a game can not be enjoyed and policed by one solitary officer as the fifties..
Wednesday 17 April 2013 9.21am
Tom Pepper wrote:
My brother-in-law said that a lot of the crowd were obviously drunk as skunks, probably with a 5.15 p.m. kick off they'd had plenty of time in the boozers before the game.

Yup. A large gathering took over the Market Porter (and other pubs near London Bridge) on Saturday afternoon, making their ugly presence felt and heard until they decided to lurch off for the start of the match. I guess they would have got tanked up regardless of the start time, but the late kick-off (presumably for the benefit of tv) ensured they had an extended opportunity. The crowd was mainly men but there were also family groups, some with relatively young children.
Wednesday 17 April 2013 9.52am
I follow West Ham, but take my son to Charlton quite often. I like a pint before the match, and sometimes at half-time as well. I was at the game last season where Charlton ended Huddersfield's record unbeaten run. On the train back we ended up in a carriage filled with Huddersfield supporters, ony a few Charlton. The away fans were obviously disappointed, the alcohol fumes were dizzying and the air blue with the explicit content of their songs. It was a bit tense, but I wa never worried about violence, nor was my son. I have bee to many football games, lower leagues, major leagues , abroad... Never hd a problem. It's a small minority of morons that ruin it for everybody else.
Wednesday 17 April 2013 12.02pm
in contrast I took my son to Twickenham for the 6 nations game with Italy. We sat with a lot of Italian supporters in the crowd and all got on the same trains etc. People were drinking but no one was drunk or causing trouble.
Wednesday 17 April 2013 12.25pm
dee dee wrote:
in contrast I took my son to Twickenham for the 6 nations game with Italy. We sat with a lot of Italian supporters in the crowd and all got on the same trains etc. People were drinking but no one was drunk or causing trouble.

A better game played by better men watched by better people.

It pains me to say.
Wednesday 17 April 2013 12.42pm
boroughonian wrote:
dee dee wrote:

A better game played by better men watched by better people.

It pains me to say.

A boring game played by boring men watched by boring people it pains me to say.
Wednesday 17 April 2013 12.59pm
Fair enough,but I don't remember pitch invasions and stabbings or mass brawls at any rugby matches,boring's underrated imo.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network