Water meters in council property

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 18 April 2013 8.42am
In common with us all now days and trying to save money I phoned thames water with a view to having a meter installed and they told me to contact the local housing office for approval and permission naturally as the property is rented. When I phoned the nice young lady said she was not aware of this happening before? Has any tenant had one installed?

If permission is not given I shall ask for an estimated assessment of water use. Has any one else done that?
Thursday 18 April 2013 10.52am
I think:
it's not possible in my council flat, but if I request a meter, I could get an estimated bill based on average use of a similar household.
If you live alone, and request a meter, you'll certainly save money on your water bills, whether it's fitted or not.
Thursday 18 April 2013 10.59am
I will certainly ask TW for an estimate of water I use if it can be done. Let us know how you get on?
Thursday 18 April 2013 11.00am
Graham, is that applicable to all council properties? We pay water rates in with the rent (over 4 per week) and I thought all Southwark tenants did the same? How do you opt out of it being inclusive and pay based on average use?
Thursday 18 April 2013 1.48pm
My new water bill is 8.35 a week, and that is the reason I have raised myself above my normal level of inertia. I went on to a website a few weeks back, I think it was Martin Lewis ( the money man) and you fill in how many times you use the washing machine, flush the lavatory,shower or bathe, and as I recall it was a lot less under 2.00 a week...roughly 434 p.a. as opposed to 104...

apparently is you live in property where it is not possible to have a water meter, i.e. if your water supply main intake is shared by your neighbours you can have assessed bill, that was on his website.

The savings for me would be 3 months council tax...or a trip to skegness! lol
Thursday 18 April 2013 2.39pm
I did a little research some time ago, It's probably all on line now.
Thursday 18 April 2013 3.08pm
I looked for the link but could not find it, if can post it here, that would be great

Thanks
Thursday 18 April 2013 10.10pm
Thursday 18 April 2013 10.47pm
Yep friend of mine did just that
TW assessed her property a flat on second floor - no water meter could be installed so her bill was assessed. Huge savings unsure how much but worth it
Saturday 20 April 2013 9.30pm
TW are coming to see me on Friday, supposedly to fit a meter, but on the 4th floor. .?? Will give you all an update next week.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: