Mobile market stall in Waterloo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 23 April 2013 11.20pm
I can't believe what some of these organisations spend their money on. Has anyone seen this (see SE1News). What tosh! Lower Marsh is described as a vibrant market. Not it's not; it's full of people who work in the area queuing for their lunch at the stalls, whilst locals try to get past and find somewhere to buy some decent groceries and fresh food to fill their fridges.

Related news & features

Wednesday 24 April 2013 10.42am
Without people working in the area, the area would be nothing. Be grateful!
Wednesday 24 April 2013 11.44am
Whatever the ins and outs of Lower Marsh, I'd definitely agree that BIDs (who, if I've read the news article correctly, are the people who've funded this spending) are a waste of money.

The Bankside one seems to be completely random in the scope of what it does, and the frequency of any offerings. I work in another BID in the West End. They appear to spend all their money organising walking tours of the region, and sponsoring foodmarkets in the concourse of one of the nearby office buildings.

QUANGOs gone mad.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 24 April 2013 8.52pm
Pops, I beg to differ. It's not the people who work here that make it 'something'; it's the theatres, the local businesses,the people who live here and its interesting history. Smelly food and blocked pavements don't enhance it too much!
mac
Friday 26 April 2013 10.12am
Talking of smelly food, I noticed that the food stall that's in Millennium Green at lunchtimes has moved to what seems like a more permenant pitch under the trees. Seems like it's set to stay there then. It's unbearable to walk through the park when they're cooking, what will all the burnt smoke smell wafting all over the place. Shame it makes the park a no-go area (unless you want your clothes to smell).
Friday 26 April 2013 10.21am
No go area? That park has been packed all week at dinner times.
mac
Friday 26 April 2013 10.39am
I meant a no-go area for me (a local resident) - can't stand the smell
Friday 26 April 2013 11.28am
yes it has been moved closer to the flats,don't know why,nice food though.
Sunday 28 April 2013 6.46pm
I've heard that the guy who runs the food stall is allowed because he maintains the planting area and keeps it clean and free of rubbish. Maybe someone can confirm - or put me straight!
Monday 29 April 2013 12.33pm
Karen,this is probably right,I think he used to employ some of the eastern europeans that used to sit under the trees drinking.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: