Street Naming

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 24 April 2013 9.37am
Having seen the following Name street names after fallen soldiers I will say I quite like the idea. I'm not one for particularly glorying in the military but it is an appealing way to have a local memorial to those whoíve been killed in the line of duty. However I would also like to see local heroes who donít get lasting recognition for their actions in saving others.

For example I would love to see a new road/path off Tower Bridge Road to be called Gunterís Jump after good old Albert who saved the lives of the passengers on the 78 bus through quick thinking.

78 Bus

I'm sure there are other peacetime people who've saved the lives of others who could be commemorated.

Related news & features

Wednesday 24 April 2013 10.18am
That's a great story re the 78 bus, hadn't heard of the incident.
Wednesday 24 April 2013 10.26am
I hadn't heard the story of the 78 bus either, however I do agree that streets should be named after local heroes, whether it's those killed in action, or those who are heroes for other reasons
Wednesday 24 April 2013 12.01pm
Keyworth St at the Elephant was named after a soldier from the Great War who was awarded the VC

Leonard Keyworth

Although he was from Lincolnshire, he was in the London Regiment. He ws only 22 when he was killed.
Wednesday 24 April 2013 12.18pm
Henly Close is named after a very brave man who despite having a broken ankle went on the roof of the bermondsey town hall during the war who was killed or rather died of his wounds may 1941 in st olaves hospital. There used to be a lovely portrait of him in Spa Road town hall, up the stairs hidden away like all our other brave men! will now have to go and look it up! Think he was called Albert.
Wednesday 24 April 2013 2.39pm
I think it's a good idea, if the council also put up a small plaque to say who the person was. Otherwise, I think it's a silly idea, and would prefer my local councillor to be doing something useful rather than lobbying for this sort of stuff.

Personally I'd also prefer new streets to be named after people who have done worthwhile things in Southwark.

As to naming streets after people who have died in recent wars, I'm afraid that's not for me. I'd prefer the council to name things like the cemetaries, rubbish dumps, waste treatment plants, etc after the politicians who decided to send the soldiers overseas to die. (I may well be in a minority here, of course.)

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: