Coaches outside Driscoll House on NKR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 26 April 2013 4.13pm
At least twice this week there has been a coach waiting in the bus stop area outside Driscoll House (or Rest Up as I think it's now branded). I've spotted taxis and coaches on a few occasions previously but it's definitely getting worse. This is a real nuisance. Causes delay to buses as they have to queue to get round the coach or some less helpful bus drivers have decided to handle the issue skipping this bus stop entirely leaving queues of people waiting.
There appears to be no way for the coaches or taxis to get onto the hotel land (driveway etc) so they wait on the road or worse on the pavement. Please can the council or police do something? I have photos from this week if anyone needs details or evidence or something....
Saturday 27 April 2013 8.07pm
don't talk rubbish no problem at all
Saturday 27 April 2013 9.22pm
(bit rude)

It IS a problem if you're waiting for a bus there - if a coach is parked at the bus stop, the bus can't pull in, a real problem if you're in a wheelchair as the bus ramp needs to be deployed onto the pavement so the wheelchair user can get on or off smoothly.

You'd think a hotel would have made some provision for coaches - seems a bit short sighted.
Sunday 28 April 2013 12.27pm
Yes, I've noticed it getting worse lately. The other day a coach driver had managed to drive over the kerb to park his whole coach on the pavement... better for buses to get past I guess! Perhaps drop a note to TfL?
Monday 29 April 2013 10.59am
onlyme73 wrote:
don't talk rubbish no problem at all
Being late for work because the buses don't stop at the bus stop is a problem for me and my employer. I'm pleased it hasn't affected everyone. One of the reasons to post was to find out if other people have also been affected and if this is happening at different times of day. I'm usually at the bus stop between 07:45-08:00. Maybe it's not a problem at other times of day.
Monday 29 April 2013 11.06am
I don't live nearby, but I know people were complaining about it on the forum last year as coaches were parked in Bartholomew Street - seehere
Monday 29 April 2013 11.32am
There will be a nasty accident along this road soon. Not only to the coahces park here, but the passengers have to walk into the road to board the coach. Surely the hotel can let them park at the side of the hotel?
Friday 3 May 2013 11.30am
I agree with SophieLondon. This is extremely annoying. Over the past few weeks, I've often been on a bus from OKR which had to slow down and queue to get into the single London bus sized space left as a result of the coaches. On one occasion, when we then pulled out to pass the coach, the driver suddenly slammed on the brakes because there were people leaving the coach straight into the main road.

I love that overseas students are getting the chance to visit our great city, but there's a very large (now fenced off) space at what used to be the front door of Driscoll House. Why can that not be used for coach parking?

As an aside, the problem gets even worse when Abellio buses (172 and 188) are dithering behind the coach so they arrive at Elephant in time for their driver change.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: