Mystery Door Policy at Southwark Tavern

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 27 April 2013 10.17pm
http://www.thesouthwarktavern.co.uk/

This didn't happen to me but actually my flatmate... Any idea why the Southwark Tavern would refuse entry to three men in their 40's on a Saturday night? Not drunk, not rowdy, actually looking to eat... apparently unacceptable! Totally bizarre...
Sunday 28 April 2013 1.22am
B.O.? Flies undone? Liberal Democrat rosettes?

There's something your mate isn't telling you.
Sunday 28 April 2013 6.35am
Lionel. Just noticed the posting above. I was one of the 3 guys in question. There is nothing not being told. Just blatant discrimination. We had only had 1 beer at the Wheatsheaf next door but it was so crowded we thought we would try the Southwark Tavern for something to eat. The doorman didn't even have any ID on him. Just wouldn't let us in

Am looking forward to Southwark Tavern's response to my email regarding this !
Sunday 28 April 2013 6.32am
Interesting new door policy at the Southwark Tavern on a Saturday evening. No more than 2 guys allowed in together unless with girls. So us 3 mid 40s guys wanting to have a beer at 9pm last night got turned away at the door ! Couldn't quite believe it !!
Sunday 28 April 2013 6.37am
I know that that's not the point, but it isn't the greatest pub any way, is it...
Sunday 28 April 2013 9.33am
I have to agree with EW on this one Mark.
I think that the door fella did you a favour. The attitude from the staff & this place is pretty poor & only seems decent when compared to the seemingly self important failed students who work at the Market Porter.
You ducked a bullet
Sunday 28 April 2013 10.18am
boroughmark wrote:
Lionel. Just noticed the posting above. I was one of the 3 guys in question. There is nothing not being told. Just blatant discrimination. We had only had 1 beer at the Wheatsheaf next door but it was so crowded we thought we would try the Southwark Tavern for something to eat. The doorman didn't even have any ID on him. Just wouldn't let us in
Am looking forward to Southwark Tavern's response to my email regarding this !

I would say they've just lost themselves a whole load of customers by their very poor and discriminatory door policy. I for one will never go in there if that's the way they treat people.

If they reply to your email, please post it on here, as it will be interesting to see how they try to justify their door policy
Sunday 28 April 2013 11.14am
We were actually only going in for dinner. There was an hour wait at Brindisa so we headed across to the Southwark Tavern only to be told "no entry" to three 40 plus "unaccompanied by a woman " males. Maybe they thought we were restaurant critics or inspectors? ( Cue Fawlty Towers theme)... We ended up eating at Wagamama and did not smash the place up. We have all forwarded our concerns to the Southwark licencing people.
Sunday 28 April 2013 11.37am
boroughpaul wrote:
We were actually only going in for dinner. There was an hour wait at Brindisa so we headed across to the Southwark Tavern only to be told "no entry" to three 40 plus "unaccompanied by a woman " males. Maybe they thought we were restaurant critics or inspectors? ( Cue Fawlty Towers theme)... We ended up eating at Wagamama and did not smash the place up. We have all forwarded our concerns to the Southwark licencing people.

I find this baffling- what on earth is the rationale here? I do agree that this is not a very interesting pub, but that isn't relevant. Keep us posted on their answer.
Sunday 28 April 2013 6.28pm
oh, be assured Maurits the reply will be widely circulated!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: