2 weeks wait for GP appt. in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Thursday 2 May 2013 10.25pm
The earliest available appointment to see a GP at my local SE1 surgery is now a two weeks wait. 10 years ago, you'd get to see a doctor within 2-4 days maximum.

Clearly there is absolutely no integrated planning between the number of new apartments granted planning consent and the supply of healthcare - exactly the same holds for school places.

If free healthcare continues to be available for anyone turning up with a phone bill, then we can expect longer and longer waits to see a doctor.

Why is this sort of forward planning so difficult for Local and National Government? Isn't this what they are supposed to do?
Friday 3 May 2013 12.30am
I can't answer your question, Floodplain, but on the occasions when I do get to see a GP at the surgery I go to I feel it's pretty pointless.

The usual first approach is to tell me to go away and return in a week if things haven't improved. I'm also urged to lose weight (not that I'm significantly overweight) and cut down my not very heavy drinking, regardless of what my medical issue is.

The GPs appear desperate to find out that I am diabetic (I'm not, though they love testing me) or encourage me to stop smoking (I don't smoke and never have done), but when it comes to engaging with the problems I have rather than problems they are incentivized to eradicate they rarely have much to suggest beyond taking paracetamol.

The staff at my surgery are often very rude, and the GPs often strike me as astonishingly bigoted. A couple of the GPs I've seen at my surgery also have a less than perfect command of English. I've a couple of times been on the receiving end of wildly inaccurate diagnoses.

The prevailing situation means I live in fear of developing an ailment that requires me to see someone at my surgery, because, when I do finally get an appointment, it's likely to be unhelpful and/or insulting.
Zoe
Friday 3 May 2013 5.36am
Lots of us are concerned that there appears to be very little planning about the needs of services versus the number of properties being built. There seems to be some sort of presumption that those who can afford to pay such house prices won't need a doctor!

Longlander, I think you might need a new GP.
Friday 3 May 2013 7.11am
GPs are private businesses that set up wherever and whenever there are enough available patients to hoover up so forward planning has nothing to do with it. If you are waiting 2 weeks for an appointment with any available doctor (as opposed to a particular doctor) then I'd suggest it is time to move on to another practice. Appointments aside, almost all practices operate a first come, first served, surgery every weekday morning if you want to see someone ASAP.
Friday 3 May 2013 7.32am
Reading your comments (floodplain & longlaner), it sound as you are talking about the same gp service I'm joined with - Borough Medical Centre!
Friday 3 May 2013 7.36am
The GP surgery in Decima Street do a lot in trying to accommodate patients. Sometimes it does take indeed a week before you can get an appointment but they do offer the possibility of a same day appointment when you either go there or ring them up at 08h00 in the morning.

I do realise that this is not always a solution but for many it works. In addition to that, they have 2 surgeries, another one on Grange Road, and that also gives more flexibility.
Friday 3 May 2013 12.50pm
I have no complaints whatsoever about Blackfriars Medical Practice. Appointments whenever needed at short notice and attentive receptionists. The doctors are the best I have ever come across. A satisfied customer!
Friday 3 May 2013 1.29pm
Can be terrible wait time at Princess St Practice- however turn up at 9am and you will get an 'urgent' appointment- usually within an hour

Don't be put off if the receptionist on the phone- try to make you go to casualty - turn up
Friday 3 May 2013 2.37pm
boroughpaul wrote:
I have no complaints whatsoever about Blackfriars Medical Practice. Appointments whenever needed at short notice and attentive receptionists. The doctors are the best I have ever come across. A satisfied customer!

Sshhhhh

but seriously,I second that.
Zoe
Friday 3 May 2013 7.18pm
Same here, it's a great doctor. We are clearly very lucky.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: